Deadlift Problems, Small Hands

Ok so I believe that my main problem with my deadlift is that I have small hands. I know bring on the lady comments. My squat and bench are fine and my grip could be contributed to this problem.

I pull sumo because I feel that it saves my lower back from further injury because of bad form a few years ago pulling conventional, that injury still lags on me. Does any one else have a grip problem because of the size of their hands?

Just for some context, how small are we talking? My hands are pretty tiny and I’ve pretty much never had any issues.

Barley touches 8 inches from bottom of palm to tip of my middle finger

Use straps. It should help overcome the issue.

[quote]Ertz86 wrote:
Barley touches 8 inches from bottom of palm to tip of my middle finger[/quote]

Those aren’t small hands. Your grip problem has to do with your grip strength, not your hand size. Work on that and you will be fine.

A barbell has a circumference of about 3.5 inches.

You are good to go, OP.

[quote]Ertz86 wrote:
Ok so I believe that my main problem with my deadlift is that I have small hands.[/quote]
I would challenge that belief.

I’m gonna guess your hands are larger than this 5’2" woman’s so, yeah, it’s not your hand size that’s the problem.

Lol. OP, have you ever posted in the steroid forum asking about HGH to make your hands bigger? (I’m not making this up)

I’m curious why none of us are considering the possibly that a persons hands may be thicker than another, and that this too can contribute to hand size issues when it comes to grabbing a barbell.

I have very long, slim fingers and a thin palm, so my hands wrap around the bar. I have met people with longer fingers than me, much much thicker hands and fingers, which effectively shorten how much of their hand they can get around the bar. There is far more at play here.

That said, I will echo my sentiment. I think most everyone should pull with straps when they deadlift, and simply train grip outside of the deadlift.

I just hate using straps because I want it to stay as authentic as possible. My grip is always getting worked as well, I try to work my grip atleast 3-4 times a week.

Ive seen people use wrist wraps alot on deadlifts, think it actually helps at all?

[quote]Ertz86 wrote:
I just hate using straps because I want it to stay as authentic as possible. My grip is always getting worked as well, I try to work my grip atleast 3-4 times a week.[/quote]

Perhaps I misunderstood your goals.

When you train, is your goal to make progress, or to make the lift as authentic as possible? If it’s the latter, don’t sweat the grip strength/small hands issue, and just keep lifting what you can. If it’s the former, you’re going to most likely have to make some sacrifices along the way, and that will include training in ways you don’t particularly like.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I’m curious why none of us are considering the possibly that a persons hands may be thicker than another, and that this too can contribute to hand size issues when it comes to grabbing a barbell.

There is far more at play here.[/quote]
I agree that it’d definitely help to know the guy’s height, weight, and general fat level, as well as how much he’s actually deadlifting/squatting/benching for some perspective.

But he first said “small hands”, not pudgy fingers, fat palms or whatever. 8 inches from middle fingertip to base of palm isn’t really small at all, so I’m inclined to think the guy’s reaching for an excuse.

No excuses I just want to see if there is some ways to help if you have smaller hands, Im 5’6’ 180 lbs with 14-15% bf. My palm is definitely bigger than my fingers. Like I said, i have no excuses, just looking for advise to see what other people think about how to train grip with smaller hands.

Get chalk

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Get chalk[/quote]

This too. Most people tend to think it’s one or the other, but chalk mixed with straps is vital.

[quote]Ertz86 wrote:
Im 5’6’ 180 lbs with 14-15% bf.[/quote]
Okay. And what’re you lifting on the big three exercises?

Search box brings up over 5,600 results from as recent as last month to a few years ago:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/small_hand_problems_
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/jim-wendler-531/tiny_hands_and_531
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/small_hands_and_grip_issues
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/little_girl_hands
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/deadlifts_w_small_hands

Long story short, I’m glad to see I’m in good company, considering Wendler’s take on the situation:
“I personally think you are looking for a excuse. You can always find an excuse if you look hard enough. But it’s even harder to find a winner. Which one are you?”

How am I looking for an excuse? I literally just said I just need advise… aka im at a sticking point someone know anything that can help me push through this? an excuse would be me saying yeah I can never pull more than now because of my hand size. I never said that. I stated this is what Im working with what can I do to improve.

[quote]Ertz86 wrote:
No excuses I just want to see if there is some ways to help if you have smaller hands, Im 5’6’ 180 lbs with 14-15% bf. My palm is definitely bigger than my fingers. Like I said, i have no excuses, just looking for advise to see what other people think about how to train grip with smaller hands. [/quote]

I think the best way to train grip is by directly training it, rather than attempting to indirectly do so through other exercises. Do some timed holds with a barbell and get some captains of crush grippers and close them for reps/time and you’ll do well.

However, this will heavily tax your grip, which will impact your ability to grip things in training.

Have you tried using a hook grip?