Deadlift Problem

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and maybe some solutions??

When I’m deadlifting I feel like all the effort is being taken up by my lower back. This muscle group is the one that gives out before anything else.

Its getting be really annoying as the numbers in all my other lifts are going up, but deadlift seems to have stalled.

At the moment I’m doing 4 sets of 8 reps, trying to put on a bit of size.

I feel that it might be my hamstrings being tight and not letting me ‘sit down’ enough in the lift, but I’d love to hear other opinions.

Thanks

[quote]Oz_in_London wrote:
I feel that it might be my hamstrings being tight and not letting me ‘sit down’ enough in the lift.
Thanks[/quote]

That’s exactly what I was going to say. Also, your calves might be tight as well. To some, that doesn’t make sense, but it just makes matters even worse.

Also, it is hard to diagnose in this manner.

If your back is getting tired first, then your glutes and hams are probably weak.

Pullthroughs, ghr (if available), goodmornings, olympic (deep) squatting can all help. I would also recomend that you change your set/rep scheme, in my opinion it’s backwards. Throw on more weight and do higher sets (6-12) of lower reps (1-4). I think you will be very pleased with the results.

Another note: You could also try doing some wide stance sumo pulling, this really requires glute/hamstring strength.

[quote]Chewie wrote:
Oz_in_London wrote:
I feel that it might be my hamstrings being tight and not letting me ‘sit down’ enough in the lift.
Thanks

That’s exactly what I was going to say. Also, your calves might be tight as well. To some, that doesn’t make sense, but it just makes matters even worse.

Also, it is hard to diagnose in this manner.

[/quote]

Im betting your also rising in the hips and Not driving them through forward.getting that ass under you. Which is then turning it into a major SLDL.

But in the end the DL uses a lot of lower back and sets of 8 if done heavy id say your doing something wrong if its not getting tired

Phill

Thanks for the info guys, i’m going to try and switch up the set/rep scheme and work on the gluts and hams.

Time to get those numbers moving in the right direction!

Thanks again

Sometimes a workout for me consists of two deadlifts. That is all and I have been consistantly hitting PR’s. I am almost to 500. Lately I have been doing “high rep” deads which consists of 8 reps.

Think about it, try it and see if it helps. I know it would be very difficult for me to recover from a workout that consisted of 32 or 36 deadlifts unless the weight was under 100kgs.

It’s already been said, but I’ll beat the dead horse. 8 reps is definitely on the high side unless they are speed reps. For me, anything more than 5 and my form changes so that I pull more with my low back.

might also want to try to follow the dogma of louie simmons and others, i.e., if you want to move your deadlift, don’t deadlift all the time, just test it once every 2-6 weeks depending on how you feel. in the meantime, bring up your back and glutes/hams w/ RDL’s, good mornings, etc. also rows, oly stuff like cleans and high-pulls.

also bring up your squat. not to mention grip and just getting stronger all over. proponents of this “method” feel deads all the time are too taxing and will wear down your back and drain recovery time too much. i’ve made more progress on this lately then trying to deadlift all the time in the past. i’m sure it depends somewhat on your physique and any past back injuries, etc, i just know what works for me. i need time off from deads, but can squat and do deadlift assistance work regularly w/o problems.

[quote]jm89074 wrote:
might also want to try to follow the dogma of louie simmons and others, i.e., if you want to move your deadlift, don’t deadlift all the time, just test it once every 2-6 weeks depending on how you feel. in the meantime, bring up your back and glutes/hams w/ RDL’s, good mornings, etc. also rows, oly stuff like cleans and high-pulls.
[/quote]

That works for some, but not all. I get better at DLing by DLing. Sure my box squats, RDL’s, GM’s help, but I pull heavy to make gains. I just stay under 5 reps.

Good point. It’s all about getting to know your body and what it best responds to.

This article should end all of your questions.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=586815