Deadlift PR Today!

1. With straps unfortunately, but I wanted to prove I could pull the weight (to myself) more than worrying about with or w/o straps. The weight moved slow as shit, but there was no hitching or stalling.

It’s good to know my training is doing something. I’ve gained about 10lbs in the past couple months. Last time I pulled from the floor (for a max) it was 355 for 2. Can’t wait to test my squat in a few weeks.

Anyway, on to 495 now. And doing a ton more grip/forearm work.

PS: body weight around 205 at 6’2"

Nice pull dude. On to 5 plates!

[quote]Dave284 wrote:
Nice pull dude. On to 5 plates![/quote]

Thanks! And four plates with out straps first.

Congratulations on the PR!

Regarding grip, do you utilize a hook grip in training, double over hand w/no hook, staggered grip, straps?

I actually find that squeezing a grip ball repetitively does a lot for my grip. And I utilize a hook grip when pulling low reps and I can’t drop the bar. If you have not tried these things it may be worth looking into.

This is a guess, do you do rack pulls? Have you tried pulling with chains from the floor? I find chains from the floor to work better than rack pulls, but that is just my experience.

[quote]bluejay wrote:

Regarding grip, do you utilize a hook grip in training, double over hand w/no hook, staggered grip, straps?

I actually find that squeezing a grip ball repetitively does a lot for my grip. And I utilize a hook grip when pulling low reps and I can’t drop the bar. If you have not tried these things it may be worth looking into.

This is a guess, do you do rack pulls? Have you tried pulling with chains from the floor? I find chains from the floor to work better than rack pulls, but that is just my experience.[/quote]

Regarding Grip stuff:

I have some issues with grip. First, my main “gig” is being a guitarist. Not only that, but a classical guitarist with requires playing fingerstyle. That means I have longer finger nails on my right hand.

My thumb nail is too long to do hook grip–it gets in the way. I worked up to 365 using a mixed grip today. I only used straps on the last, maximal attempt today.

I haven’t tried pulling with chains etc. because I don’t access to them.

I actually don’t pull from the floor too often. I haven’t for the past month or so actually. It seems like I could walk up a flight of stairs and my deadlift would go up. I’m not sure why, but I’ve always been good at it.

Squats jump up pretty quick as well, but I have to do them more frequently. It seems as long as I squat heavy, my deadlift takes care of itself. It just takes a few warm up sets to get the form back into practice.

I have been doing a lot of RDLs and good mornings for the past month, though.

I do rack pulls, but mostly for low back strength/size/stability. I haven’t done rack pulls for a long time either, but they’re in my next months training. They don’t seem to really do anything to help out my deadlift, but they give me a hell of a lower back pump–the only lift I’ve found to do that so far.

[quote]boyscout wrote:
bluejay wrote:

This is a guess, do you do rack pulls? Have you tried pulling with chains from the floor? I find chains from the floor to work better than rack pulls, but that is just my experience.

Regarding Grip stuff:

I have some issues with grip. First, my main “gig” is being a guitarist. Not only that, but a classical guitarist with requires playing fingerstyle. That means I have longer finger nails on my right hand.

My thumb nail is too long to do hook grip–it gets in the way. I worked up to 365 using a mixed grip today. I only used straps on the last, maximal attempt today.

I haven’t tried pulling with chains etc. because I don’t access to them.

I actually don’t pull from the floor too often. I haven’t for the past month or so actually. It seems like I could walk up a flight of stairs and my deadlift would go up. I’m not sure why, but I’ve always been good at it.

Squats jump up pretty quick as well, but I have to do them more frequently. It seems as long as I squat heavy, my deadlift takes care of itself. It just takes a few warm up sets to get the form back into practice.

I have been doing a lot of RDLs and good mornings for the past month, though.

I do rack pulls, but mostly for low back strength/size/stability. I haven’t done rack pulls for a long time either, but they’re in my next months training. They don’t seem to really do anything to help out my deadlift, but they give me a hell of a lower back pump–the only lift I’ve found to do that so far. [/quote]

I apologize for the unsolicited vomitting of “free advice”. Everyone seems to offer it so you don’t have an idea of who or what it’s coming from, sorry.

If you are a classical guitarist that deadlifts then I would say that you have a rare combination of gross motor recruitment and fine motor skills. I can barely pick my nose but I can deadlift.

405s all i’ve been thinking about lately, i got 395 a while ago, but i cant wait to grab 4 plates.

Nice pull mate, but this is only the beginning…

Now onto 5 plates! and then 6!

Nice going boyscout…congrats on the new PR! Feels good to get past 400 doesn’t it? I recently did the same thing, pulled 407 at a meet for a new PR.