Deadlift PR Question

Last week, I set a new PR for deadlift (I’m 4/4 on PRs after the monolith training, by the way), going 8 x 275. I had some concerns about it from the start. I had decided to stick with my last TM from monolith since I had taken a week off, so even though I was on the “3” week, 275 was probably a weight that should have been on my “5” week. I still wanted to get a PR, so I’m happy I did, but I wondered:

Do you have a rep limit you won’t exceed for a specific exercise? For me, I am thinking 8 reps should be the max I attempt with deadlift (unless I do a BBB program). I won’t get into the reasons beyond saying that I’ve always had issues when I did lots of reps of deadlifts at a heavier weight.

Anyway, should I ignore the idea of a hard ceiling or is setting a rep ceiling for a specific exercise acceptable? Or should I just increase the weight now (meaning I won’t be able to pull as many reps at once), in week 2 of the cycle, instead of waiting for the end of week 3?

[quote]JoshRutherford wrote:
Last week, I set a new PR for deadlift (I’m 4/4 on PRs after the monolith training, by the way), going 8 x 275. I had some concerns about it from the start. I had decided to stick with my last TM from monolith since I had taken a week off, so even though I was on the “3” week, 275 was probably a weight that should have been on my “5” week. I still wanted to get a PR, so I’m happy I did, but I wondered:

Do you have a rep limit you won’t exceed for a specific exercise? For me, I am thinking 8 reps should be the max I attempt with deadlift (unless I do a BBB program). I won’t get into the reasons beyond saying that I’ve always had issues when I did lots of reps of deadlifts at a heavier weight.

Anyway, should I ignore the idea of a hard ceiling or is setting a rep ceiling for a specific exercise acceptable? Or should I just increase the weight now (meaning I won’t be able to pull as many reps at once), in week 2 of the cycle, instead of waiting for the end of week 3?[/quote]

For main work, I generally use 10 reps as a limit unless it’s a beginner. Then there is no real cap as it’s about form.

We do a lot of Widowmakers so for them - 20 reps. But really - we train hard as we can, be smart and don’t really worry too much about this stuff.