Deadlift Platform

I am thinking about compteting in the Maine games in march, but i need to increase my deadlift numbers. I have a couple of questions. When practicing deadlifting do you drop the weight after the lift? If so what do you drop it on ( dont want to bust my concrete). Is dropping the weight allowed in competition or do you have to slowly lower it to the floor. Are wrist hooks allowed or do you have to hold it with your hands. If hooks are allowed how do you drop it?
Thanks in advance HW

You drop it under control.

You keep your hands on it and control where it falls basically.

Get some rubber mats and that oughta be okay for preventing busting of concrete but I really don’t know.

This new Powerhouse gym I’m going to in Philadelphia (because I’m travelling for work) has a nice platform made of 2x4s and rubber mats.

Dropping the weight makes almost no noise, and doen’t seem to be bothering the floor at all.

It’s really nice. The 2x4s are on their side (the 2" part, or really the 1.75", or whatever it is) all around. I’m thinking about lifting the mats to see how they built it, but you can probably find that info online somewhere.

I’m sure there’s someone who posted a diagram that you can build from. Someone will probably post a link here.

Oh yea, no straps or anything in competitions.

You need to lower the weight in a controlled fashion but that usually means let gravity get it down but stick with it for the ride. In regards to straps…you can’t use them so get yourself some chalk and start building your grip strength.

I have a platform in my garage that works great. 8X8 framed out by 2x4s. I cubed out the entire structure with 2x4s then layed two 4X4 sheets of 3/4 inch plyboard then laid some heavy rubber flooring over the whole thing. I was able to bolt my power rack right into it as well.

Check out this sight for some good fundamental powerlifting advice This Page Has Moved

[quote]DominicanDL wrote:
You need to lower the weight in a controlled fashion but that usually means let gravity get it down but stick with it for the ride. In regards to straps…you can’t use them so get yourself some chalk and start building your grip strength.

I have a platform in my garage that works great. 8X8 framed out by 2x4s. I cubed out the entire structure with 2x4s then layed two 4X4 sheets of 3/4 inch plyboard then laid some heavy rubber flooring over the whole thing. I was able to bolt my power rack right into it as well.

Check out this sight for some good fundamental powerlifting advice This Page Has Moved [/quote]

thanks for all the advice i am going to build one out of 2 X 4s and start practicing. i will be in the masters group 40 -45 at probably the 181 lb class (bulking now mabe the 198lb class) any advice on how to increase the grip strenght. thanks HW

static holds for time and just losing the wraps did it for me.

Hope this helps

Bulletproof 8’*8’ Platform

1. Seventeen 2"x6"x 8’ boards

2. 2 3/4" (or thicker if you can find it) sheets of plywood. Get the good stuff, with no surface holes or gaps, etc

3. 1 3/8" sheet of plywood

4. 3/8" rubber flooring

5. Lay the 2x6’s left to right to make and 8’x8’ square

6. Screw the thick plywood sheets on top of the 2x6s in the same direction (left to right). The seam between the sheets will land in the center of one of the 2x6’s. That will allow you to break it down into two pieces if you ever need to move it.

7. Paint the 3/8" sheet of Plywood with Tuff Trac. It’s a non-skid acrylic coating made by Sonneborn. I special ordered it at Sherwin Williams. The color is French Gray. Actually, you have to roll or trowel it on.

8. When that is dry and has set up - 3 days - screw it onto the plywood sheets in the opposite direction - front to back.

9. Cut the 3/8" rubber sheets into 4 4’x2’ sections and screw in place one the sides of the center plywood section.
    It helps to glue them down with contact cement. I left the edges near the center unglued to facilitate breakdown for moving.

IT works pretty well with the grippy stuff in the center and the rubber on the sides. The rubber absorbs the dropping of the bar during deads and dumped squats and the grippy stuff gives good traction for squatting and benching.
The only negative is you will have to mop up powder if you use it for benching and pulling in training as the powder will wind up making the feet slip when benching, nothing a quick mop job won’t fix either.

Options:

1. Use 1/2" rubber and plywood for top surfaces - more durable.
  2. Make separate center section which is covered with carpet for the bench. That eliminates the chalk/powder from the squat/dead affecting the bench footing.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
Hope this helps

Bulletproof 8’*8’ Platform

1. Seventeen 2"x6"x 8’ boards

2. 2 3/4" (or thicker if you can find it) sheets of plywood. Get the good stuff, with no surface holes or gaps, etc

3. 1 3/8" sheet of plywood

4. 3/8" rubber flooring

5. Lay the 2x6’s left to right to make and 8’x8’ square

6. Screw the thick plywood sheets on top of the 2x6s in the same direction (left to right). The seam between the sheets will land in the center of one of the 2x6’s. That will allow you to break it down into two pieces if you ever need to move it.

7. Paint the 3/8" sheet of Plywood with Tuff Trac. It’s a non-skid acrylic coating made by Sonneborn. I special ordered it at Sherwin Williams. The color is French Gray. Actually, you have to roll or trowel it on.

8. When that is dry and has set up - 3 days - screw it onto the plywood sheets in the opposite direction - front to back.

9. Cut the 3/8" rubber sheets into 4 4’x2’ sections and screw in place one the sides of the center plywood section.
    It helps to glue them down with contact cement. I left the edges near the center unglued to facilitate breakdown for moving.

IT works pretty well with the grippy stuff in the center and the rubber on the sides. The rubber absorbs the dropping of the bar during deads and dumped squats and the grippy stuff gives good traction for squatting and benching.
The only negative is you will have to mop up powder if you use it for benching and pulling in training as the powder will wind up making the feet slip when benching, nothing a quick mop job won’t fix either.

Options:

1. Use 1/2" rubber and plywood for top surfaces - more durable.
  2. Make separate center section which is covered with carpet for the bench. That eliminates the chalk/powder from the squat/dead affecting the bench footing.
    [/quote]

Thanks I am going to build one.Hey one other question can you have one hand over the bar and one hand under?
hw

[quote]highway worker wrote:
Thanks I am going to build one.Hey one other question can you have one hand over the bar and one hand under?
hw
[/quote]

Yes, but no straps.