Deadlift - Perfect Form!

[quote]brucevangeorge wrote:
Where would I be able to get a video where the deadlift has an actual perfect form?[/quote]

I have yet to encounter a video of anybody doing a moderately heavy DL with “proper” form. I highly doubt that one exists on the internet. I also doubt that anyone has ever executed a heavy DL using proper form. That’s why I don’t do conventional DL’s. EVERYONE cheats on them and wrenches the weight up with their backs, from pro weightlifters to 15 year old kids lifting in their garage.

[quote]Nominal Prospect wrote:
brucevangeorge wrote:
Where would I be able to get a video where the deadlift has an actual perfect form?

I have yet to encounter a video of anybody doing a moderately heavy DL with “proper” form. I highly doubt that one exists on the internet. I also doubt that anyone has ever executed a heavy DL using proper form. That’s why I don’t do conventional DL’s. EVERYONE cheats on them and wrenches the weight up with their backs, from pro weightlifters to 15 year old kids lifting in their garage.
[/quote]

Fucking people using their backs to do deadlifts. When WILL they learn?

[quote]AgentOrange wrote:
Fucking people using their backs to do deadlifts. When WILL they learn?[/quote]

Either never or when they pop a disc and/or injure a ligament.

:)…

So what are you supposed to use when deadlifting? Quads?

hahaha I love it!!

[quote]AgentOrange wrote:
Fucking people using their backs to do deadlifts. When WILL they learn?[/quote]

HAHA!!
Awesome!
Maybe all Canadians aren’t so bad after all.
JOKING! :wink:

That definitely made my night! That was the funiest thing I’ve seen all week! I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone hump a bar like that!

[quote]dadean wrote:

So what are you supposed to use when deadlifting? Quads?[/quote]

I think that what you’re “supposed” to use depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. In the case of the “textbook deadlift” which I was referring to, front leg drive does account for a good portion of the lift, and the lumbar arch is maintained throughout. Neither of these conditions are met in any heavy pull since they are practically impossible to maintain under such circumstances. And that’s why I don’t do pulls. I’d be willing to bet that every single person who has ever pulled 80% of 1RM or higher has rounded their backs. Just watch any PLing video. They all do it. So really, what’s the point of telling people not to round their backs on DL’s when the mechanics of the lift will force them to do it? Either avoid DL’s or face up to the fact that you’ll be pulling with a rounded back, and suffer the consequences (whatever they may be).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4919278076999364233&q=squat

[quote]gibran wrote:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4919278076999364233&q=squat

[/quote]

No bullshit.

Ivan Chakarov, the strong Bulgarian with a mullet. He’s amazing.

Algian you asshole,
I spilled my breakfast all over my keyboard cause I really thought I was gonna see a perfect lift.
Damn funny to watch, however…

dadean wrote:

So what are you supposed to use when deadlifting? Quads?

I think that what you’re “supposed” to use depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. In the case of the “textbook deadlift” which I was referring to, front leg drive does account for a good portion of the lift, and the lumbar arch is maintained throughout. Neither of these conditions are met in any heavy pull since they are practically impossible to maintain under such circumstances. And that’s why I don’t do pulls. I’d be willing to bet that every single person who has ever pulled 80% of 1RM or higher has rounded their backs. Just watch any PLing video. They all do it. So really, what’s the point of telling people not to round their backs on DL’s when the mechanics of the lift will force them to do it? Either avoid DL’s or face up to the fact that you’ll be pulling with a rounded back, and suffer the consequences (whatever they may be).[/quote]

Those consequences are stronger back,forearms,quads,hams,glutes and whatever else I’m forgetting. Yea don’t do that lift.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Algian you asshole,
I spilled my breakfast all over my keyboard cause I really thought I was gonna see a perfect lift.
Damn funny to watch, however…[/quote]

Why? Isn’t that the most perfect deadlift ever! I’m kind of jealous of his form! :slight_smile:

Random deadlift questions:

1. How much should the lower back be involved in the lift? I notice it gets the most sore at the end of the lift.

2. If you were doing more reps… lets say 6-7 reps per set, should the bar go all the way back down and hit the ground? or is it okay if I stop an inch or so and then go back up for another rep?

No joke though. I have seen this with an IFBB pro and his client one night a a gym I train at. Amazing…I was seeing her spine through her Tshirt.
K

[quote]
I’d be willing to bet that every single person who has ever pulled 80% of 1RM or higher has rounded their backs. Just watch any PLing video. They all do it. So really, what’s the point of telling people not to round their backs on DL’s when the mechanics of the lift will force them to do it? Either avoid DL’s or face up to the fact that you’ll be pulling with a rounded back, and suffer the consequences (whatever they may be).[/quote]

Because you’re full of crap. I pull with an arched back using 100% of my max. It’s really not that hard, it’s called have a strong core and lower back, and train the way you plan to max out.

I’m not full of crap.

If you want to maintain an arch on a DL, you need to start in a low position with your legs bent and your shoulders ahead of the bar. That, and you have to stick to moderate weights. In other words, you need to break the key principles of pulling as a PLer, and pull as a bodybuilder instead.

Please find me a single shot or video of anybody pulling with an arch. It ain’t gonna happen. Most pro’s round their backs before they even lift the weight.

[quote]paul bunyan wrote:Those consequences are stronger back,forearms,quads,hams,glutes and whatever else I’m forgetting. Yea don’t do that lift.
[/quote]

Yeah, that, or:

…pop a disc and/or tear a ligament.[/quote]

P.S. Conventional deads can’t really be considered a worthwhile leg exercise compared to other movements. So really, you should have written:

Stronger back, glutes, and forearms, coupled with a greatly increased risk of a lumbar disc fracture or ligament sprain. That would have been a more objective analysis.

Try responding to what I actually wrote.

Thanks.

[quote]brucevangeorge wrote:
Random deadlift questions:

1. How much should the lower back be involved in the lift? I notice it gets the most sore at the end of the lift.[/quote]

Realize this: the front dead is a lower back movement before anything else. It’s essentially a standing hyperextension. There’s no getting around it: If you want to go heavy, you will need to be heaving that weight up almost entirely with your lower back. Now, that is not conducive to lower back health.

So you have 2 choices, really:

1. A big pull
    or
  2. A healthy lower back

There’s no guarantee for anything in lifting, as in life, and you could well end up doing heavy pulls and never injuring your lower back. But the risk is certainly increased. Just know that, and don’t let anyone convince you otherwise.

Well, its good to hear that I have the basics down.

Now when you lift the bar… how close to your body should it be?

I usually try to get the bar as close to my body as possile, so the blasted thing is pretty much scraping against my shins.