Deadlift Mixed Grip Question

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
When I squat, I don’t come anywhere near depth [/quote]
This is an unusual training practice.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

When I squat, I don’t come anywhere near depth [/quote]
This is an unusual training practice.[/quote]

Possibly so. It’s been working for me though. I started using it after some time training Dogg Crapp, and noticing the value of time under tension it generated.

The ‘train like you compete’ mantra sounds good when you say it, but nobody does it. No successful powerlifter hits three competition style singles in each of the lifts every training session. Once you acknowledge that, it’s just a matter of figuring out what has the most carry-over to competition.

I have stopped training mixed grip deadlifts as I don’t feel they offer a lot. They twist the back and hips and aren’t a great way to train grip, in my opinion. I go as heavy as I can with double overhand, which is a great grip builder, and then I use straps.

[quote]tredaway wrote:

Surly that would mean training your lifts from their weakest points ie deficit pulls etc as it would be easier to do rack pulls for most people which is the opposite to what you said earlier or did I misread your post ?
[/quote]

No. What it means for PLing is that you analyze your comp lifts (i.e. where does my form start to break down? where is my sticking point? where did I fail? etc.) so that you can design your training to address those weak points.

The point isn’t that you’re weaker at deficits than rack pulls, and should therefore always do deficits. I might as well say I can lift less weight at reverse curls, so my training should be wholly designed around them. The point of assistance exercises is for the benefit of strengthening the specific weak point(s) that they address.

So let’s say you want a bigger deadlift (who doesn’t?). Though you’ve never had a problem with locking out a lift, you have a hard time off the floor. In this instance, deficits will probably be much more useful in addressing your deadlift problem.

This won’t always be the case, though. Let’s say that you’re great at breaking off the floor, but around knee height is your sticking point. Doing paused at knee deads will probably be more useful than deficits in addressing your weakness.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

[quote]tredaway wrote:

Surly that would mean training your lifts from their weakest points ie deficit pulls etc as it would be easier to do rack pulls for most people which is the opposite to what you said earlier or did I misread your post ?
[/quote]

No. What it means for PLing is that you analyze your comp lifts (i.e. where does my form start to break down? where is my sticking point? where did I fail? etc.) so that you can design your training to address those weak points.

The point isn’t that you’re weaker at deficits than rack pulls, and should therefore always do deficits. I might as well say I can lift less weight at reverse curls, so my training should be wholly designed around them. The point of assistance exercises is for the benefit of strengthening the specific weak point(s) that they address.

So let’s say you want a bigger deadlift (who doesn’t?). Though you’ve never had a problem with locking out a lift, you have a hard time off the floor. In this instance, deficits will probably be much more useful in addressing your deadlift problem.

This won’t always be the case, though. Let’s say that you’re great at breaking off the floor, but around knee height is your sticking point. Doing paused at knee deads will probably be more useful than deficits in addressing your weakness.[/quote]

Good point that makes a lot of sense, for some reason when we were chatting about it we kinda went off topic which was my fault really as T3hPwnisher was just sharing what has worked well for him and I guess I got the wrong end of the stick.

I suppose another benefit with rack pulls is that its less stress on your lower back whilst still being able to work on the actual movement ?

[quote]tredaway wrote:
Good point that makes a lot of sense, for some reason when we were chatting about it we kinda went off topic which was my fault really as T3hPwnisher was just sharing what has worked well for him and I guess I got the wrong end of the stick.

I suppose another benefit with rack pulls is that its less stress on your lower back whilst still being able to work on the actual movement ?

[/quote]

I honestly find rack pulls to be an inferior movement to mat pulls. They’re just very jarring and don’t have realistic carryover to the DL in my experience since it is the bar that is at rest rather than the plates. I think it’s a bit more traumatic on the lower back as a result, because you don’t get the same type of bar flexion.

[quote]tredaway wrote:

[/quote]

I honestly find rack pulls to be an inferior movement to mat pulls. They’re just very jarring and don’t have realistic carryover to the DL in my experience since it is the bar that is at rest rather than the plates. I think it’s a bit more traumatic on the lower back as a result, because you don’t get the same type of bar flexion.[/quote]

That’s another good point I hadn’t thought of and at my age I’m all for protecting my lower back good tip :slight_smile: