Deadlift Meet Worthy?

I’ve been contemplating competing in powerlifting, but I’m not sure if my numbers are up to par. Few days ago i pulled 445lbs for a single at 140lbs. Had straps, still working on grip strength. Is that pull high enough? I’ve never followed powerlifting so I’m not sure. Also, squat is 315x4, never maxed. Not sure about bench, needs work though.

Yes.

Just do it. And yes, IMO those are really good numbers, especially if you’re going to parallel in the squat. If you can’t deadlift that with the mixed grip, then just do the hook grip. Its easy on deadlift bars.

Thanks guys. Yes, squats are always at least parallel. What exactly is a deadlift bar? I’ve just been using a straight bar.

It’s much thinner and whippier, with a harsher knurling. You will be able to pull the bar up a few inches before the plates even leave the ground, making the pull much easier.

Is this some kind of a joke? a 400+ deadlift at 140lbs is really good. Find a meet and do the thing! You are more than strong enough… if there even is such a thing.

[quote]Brett295 wrote:
Is this some kind of a joke? a 400+ deadlift at 140lbs is really good. Find a meet and do the thing! You are more than strong enough… if there even is such a thing.
[/quote]

thats totally my thought.

www.rawpowerlifting.com/classifications.htm

according to that link a 445lbs deadlift is a masters level at 148lbs and only 23lbs shy of elite. and 315x4 squat should easily put you in at least class I.

My first instinct was that it was a hidden boast. Some people like to post lifts under the guise of form check or some other kind of validation when in reality, they already know the lift is fine, but they just want to show it off to the internet!

I really appreciate the motivation and advice guys. Just what i needed to really dedicate my training to it. I’m looking forward to competing!

I really appreciate the motivation and advice guys. Just what i needed to really dedicate my training to it. I’m looking forward to competing!

[quote]csulli wrote:
My first instinct was that it was a hidden boast. Some people like to post lifts under the guise of form check or some other kind of validation when in reality, they already know the lift is fine, but they just want to show it off to the internet![/quote]
This is what I kind of thought

Nah, no videos. Best I have is a pic, but that doesn’t prove much. Of course I’m not wanting to boast or anything, just ready to see how well I can do. This is a whole new goal for me.

I had a 148 on my team and for his first meet he hit 303/192/429. He did very well and had a blast, it sounds like you would be more than competitive. Sign up and do it!

Thanks for the words, Tim. All these comments really help to get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the words, Tim. All these comments really help to get the ball rolling.

[quote]Chubbinmuffin wrote:
I’ve been contemplating competing in powerlifting, but I’m not sure if my numbers are up to par. Few days ago i pulled 445lbs for a single at 140lbs. Had straps, still working on grip strength. Is that pull high enough? I’ve never followed powerlifting so I’m not sure. Also, squat is 315x4, never maxed. Not sure about bench, needs work though. [/quote]

Have you been training your bench much? Like everyone said before, great work on your squat and deadlift, those will be good lifts in the 148’s. Bench press more than either of the other lifts though seems to increase exponentially with weight. Most light guys have quite a bit of trouble benching without getting a lot bigger.

I guess what I’m getting at is, don’t let your bench make you uneasy about competing either. Just make sure you do a little practice pausing the bar at your chest so that you’re comfortable with what kind of weight you can take using that form.

I hurt my shoulder a couple years ago so I haven’t benched heavy until recently. A few weeks ago I tried for a 1rm and I got 245 or 235, can’t remember exactly. Managed 225 a couple days ago. These all were touch and go though, no pause. I need to start training with the pause otherwise those numbers will go way down I’m sure.