T Nation

Deadlift Like Belt Squat?

Hi,

It's been a long time since i have done any exercice, so i would like to start a home routing to rebuild some muscles.

I have back problems, so I'm thinking to do belt squat for my legs. Will the belt work the same for deadlift?

thanks in advance.

No it won’t. What backproblems do you have? Minor or serious.

[quote]Cobblepot wrote:
No it won’t. What backproblems do you have? Minor or serious.[/quote]
x2 on these.

More detail about your back issue will help us figure out some good options. But I don’t know how you’d do a “belt deadlift”.

It is okay to not deadlift if you have an injury. You have to be smart about exercise choices, not just do the things you think you’re supposed to do. Dumbbell options or single-leg work are usually better/“safer” bets but, again, we’d need to know what injury you’re dealing with.

9° scoliosis. Not a big one, but enough to take care.

Pull throughs with a cable machine or with bands. You still get the hip hinge of a deadlift without spinal loading.

could buy a light kettlebell and do some swings? Need to make sure your technique is good though

[quote]Yogi wrote:
could buy a light kettlebell and do some swings? Need to make sure your technique is good though[/quote]

you dont do a fuckin ballistic hinge movement when you’re recuperating from a back injury bro. SHIEETTTTTTTTttt

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
could buy a light kettlebell and do some swings? Need to make sure your technique is good though[/quote]

you dont do a fuckin ballistic hinge movement when you’re recuperating from a back injury bro. SHIEETTTTTTTTttt
[/quote]

I know more about back rehab than you ever will.

And yes, you can absolutely do light kettlebell swings to rehab your back

The dude has no injury. He has minor scoliosis.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
The dude has no injury. He has minor scoliosis. [/quote]

I was drunk last night, and raging.

Still, swings with scoliosis. I wouldn’t.

Is your scoliosis this bad?

This guy was the first man to deadlift 5x his bodyweight, with a 661 lb deadlift while weighing 132 pounds. His name is Lamar Gant.

I would reconsider the idea that your scoliosis prevents you from deadlifting or squatting.

If you have an actual back injury, that’s a different thing.

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[/quote]

Hahaha

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[/quote]

And yes, you can absolutely do light kettlebell swings to rehab your back[/quote]

How much is a light kettlebell for you?

[quote]brulant wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[/quote]

And yes, you can absolutely do light kettlebell swings to rehab your back[/quote]

How much is a light kettlebell for you?[/quote]

something you can handle for sets of 20-30 reps. It’s more of a glute activation drill than anything.

[quote]brulant wrote:
9�° scoliosis. Not a big one, but enough to take care.[/quote]
Unless a doctor told you specifically to avoid certain movements or told you the curve has progressed, or unless you’re currently having issues moving, I’d probably proceed as if there was no actual problem, training-wise. Maybe include some regular mobility work and posture practice. Belt squats are a fine option, but full barbell deadlifts with perfect technique may be one of the best possible exercises for you. Start light, of course, but do work on them.

[quote]Jarvan wrote:
Still, swings with scoliosis. I wouldn’t.[/quote]
I’d probably agree with that, depending on the individual. But for reference, unless we don’t have the whole story, the dude hardly has scoliosis. From the National Scoliosis Foundation: “…if a curve is less than 10 degrees, we don’t even dignify it by calling it scoliosis. Instead, we might refer to it as a postural variation.”

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]brulant wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[/quote]

something you can handle for sets of 20-30 reps. It’s more of a glute activation drill than anything.[/quote]

More assumptions.
A kid with scoliosis, however minor, who doesn’t know how to lift is supposed to know the proper weight to use to perform a kettlebell swing?.. which is often incorrectly performed to an otherwise un-coached individual.

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Check out
Strength Despite Limitationsâ?¦ by Corey Howard, RKC, CK-FMS

There’s an X-ray of his back showing his scoliosis, and some indication of what he uses for training.
Obviously proper technique would be important!

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]brulant wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[/quote]

something you can handle for sets of 20-30 reps. It’s more of a glute activation drill than anything.[/quote]

More assumptions.
A kid with scoliosis, however minor, who doesn’t know how to lift is supposed to know the proper weight to use to perform a kettlebell swing?.. which is often incorrectly performed to an otherwise un-coached individual. [/quote]

jesus

Obviously he needs to do the exercise properly.

Light kettlebell swings can be used as a glute activation drill and to groove the hip hinge movement pattern, which is great for back rehab.

If you don’t agree with that then it’s just an agree to disagree situation at this point.

[quote]Renovator wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Check out
Strength Despite Limitationsâ?¦ by Corey Howard, RKC, CK-FMS

There’s an X-ray of his back showing his scoliosis, and some indication of what he uses for training.

[/quote]

Holy ****
I stand corrected.
Thanks for this

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]Renovator wrote:

[quote]Jarvan wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

Check out
Strength Despite Limitations�¢?�¦ by Corey Howard, RKC, CK-FMS

[/quote]

Holy ****
I stand corrected.
Thanks for this[/quote]

listen to your elders next time, grasshopper

:wink: