T Nation

Deadlift Help

I could use some helpful tips on my deadlifts. Right now I feel like my ass comes up too quick and then my back pulls up to finish the lift. My back never bends but it definitly feels like I’m doing part conventional deadlift, part stiff legged deadlift in one motion.

The main problem is not so much that I’m weak in those areas, but I feel that the bar is already scrapping my shins. How am I suppose to pull the bar over the knees if I keep the back completely straight?

Is there any break in the waist when doing this exercise?

What you are describing doesn’t actually sound like much of a problem, but rather something very common.

It is very common for the ass to come up first in heavier loads. The closer the your 1RM you are, the more likely you are going to “half-stiff-leg” it.

As far as scraping your shins, that too, is commonplace. I actually used to enjoy walking around the gym with bloody shins.

It’s hard to offer any real advice without actually seeing you lift. If you are making your lifts, and keeping your spine neutral, you’re not doing anything “too” wrong. Just slowly try to tweak your technique.

Deadlifting rocks,
Toddy

One thing that helps my form is to concentrate on pulling back, not up. It’s almost mental because of course you lift the bar almost straight up anyway but it causes my body to maintain proper form in the beginning of the lift.

Depending on your biomechanics, it might make sense to start the lift with the bar a bit further out in front of you.

However, that isn’t likely to have much to do with your back…

[quote]five-twelve wrote:
I could use some helpful tips on my deadlifts. Right now I feel like my ass comes up too quick and then my back pulls up to finish the lift. My back never bends but it definitly feels like I’m doing part conventional deadlift, part stiff legged deadlift in one motion.

The main problem is not so much that I’m weak in those areas, but I feel that the bar is already scrapping my shins. How am I suppose to pull the bar over the knees if I keep the back completely straight?

Is there any break in the waist when doing this exercise?[/quote]

Do not, DO NOT bend at the waist when deadlifting. Assuming you like being able to walk and move around without assistance.

What you are doing is perfectly normal and fine. However, you do want to adjust your form so your ass doesn’t have to come up first, in other words experiment with how high or low your ass is till you find the height that you can pull the most weight with. If your ass is coming up first, you’re just wasting energy.

I’d need a video to be absolutely sure, but this sounds reasonable.

I used to have the exact same problem you’re describing, especially when using the traditional stance (hands outside my knees). I found that it was easier to keep my ass down and lift heavier weights using a sumo stance. Every other cycle I rotate sumos with walking dealifts in the traditional stance to try and work my weakness. This combo has worked well. My traditional stance weights are now only about 10 or 15 pounds below my sumo stance. I also give credit to the posterior strength I’ve gotten from working hard on good mornings. They seem to complement deadlifts very well.