T Nation

Deadlift Help, Upper Back Rounding

Hey guys, I lifted in high school for a few years and took time off due to university. I decided to start lifting again back in January of this year (2017) and things have been going alright.
stats:
height: 6’
weight: 183 lbs
squat: 365 lbs
bench: 245 lbs
deadlift: 405 lbs
ohp: 175 lbs

Even back in highschool (I was stronger than I currently am) I always had a problem with my upper back rounding during deadlifts and I really just want to figure out what is making this happen. Do I have some sort of weakness somewhere? Is upper back rounding even that bad? Can someone help?

Nope. However, if you round the upperback, you want to start with a rounded upper back, rather than rounding it in the middle of the lift. That is how I like to pull

That said, you could build some upper back stength by training the eccentric on the dead rather than dropping it. Will pay off in a meet too.

Is my upper back rounding much more excessive than yours? In my opinion your back looks relatively straight in comparison to mine. Is this just because I’m pretty skinny?

The next day I deadlift I am going to try starting with a rounded upper back and take another video to get it checked again. Thanks!

edit: I actually paused each of our videos and measured the approximate angle of bend in each of our torsos and we both reach a maximum bend at approximately 40 degrees.

Try front squats and Safety squat bar if have access to one.

Kroc rows and heavy rear delt/lower trap work will be of secondary benefit also

Seconded.

There’s a good article on the website Breaking Muscle titled “What We Mortals Can Learn from Eddie Hall’s 500kg Deadlift” which covers this nicely.