Deadlift Help Please...

i watch videos and am trying to use good form. i’ll warm up playing basketball then do some body weight squats emphasizing on a good strech at the lower position of the squat. i’m knew to dead lifts so my strength isn’t much. 225 including bar.

after i dead lift for the next few days i feel very tight in my back and can barely stand bent over and it also feels like i pinch a nerve. if i can get these down to where i’m doing them right with know problems i would like to continue.

any suggestions???

thank you.

This happened to me when I started deadlifting because I used bad form and rounded my back.
Try and video-tape yourself and study your form to see problems.
Also, you could start stretching right after your training session, and taking a good old-fashioned cold bath.
I find it reduces DOMS a lot, and isn’t that bad if you put headphones on and try to focus on the music.

I’m fairly new to dead lifting as well and 225 would have been heavy for me when I started. I found that I was getting the pain as well, but if you keep working on your form and also keep dead lifting on a regular basis you’ll find the pain’ll go away. I also have started taking a 7 day break every 4 weeks. When I return I’m stronger than I was when I left. Yesterday I dead lifted 365 lbs and no back pain today at all.

Yeah! no shit.

DL - never try to lift a heav weight till you have form down.

i didnt lift over 135lbs for the first 2 years!! I would do set of 20 with the bar 3-4 times for the first 6 months or so…

Forget about lifting heavy… form is so so so important on this exercise, get it wrong and you can cause some serious damage.

225 is too much.

Either videotape yourself, or (as that isnt an option for your average bear) just ask someone who knows - to spot you and critique your form.

I used to mirrors to a great advantage too - people here will recommend against it, as you have to turn your head, but with a light weight and looking forward/down MOST of the time it is a useful tip IMO.

JJ

Focus on pushing through your heels and if your back is rounding, elevate the plates on a rack or some other plates until your mobility/flexibility improves. Read everything on this site about proper form for deadlifting (Obvious answer)

Sounds like you might have strained your spinal erectors from poor form (rounding of lower back).

This is a somewhat tricky injury, the “obvious” pain goes away rather quickly, but it might take a month or two to fully recover. During that period it’s REAL easy to aggravate the problem.

Try hitting some hyperextentions without any weight, if the pinching returns take some time off. Great exercise in general by the way.

Try dropping the weight down to 135 and practice on your form. Eventually you’ll get the hang of it, things will just click and then you can bump up the weights. The sky’s the limit with the proper technique.

Good luck!

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:
Focus on pushing through your heels and if your back is rounding, elevate the plates on a rack or some other plates until your mobility/flexibility improves. Read everything on this site about proper form for deadlifting (Obvious answer)[/quote]

I think pushing through the heels is a visualisation trick more suited to the bio mechanics of the squat, the deadlift is more of a pull - thinking about pushing through the heels or even pushing through the floor with the feet will cause form/movement difficulties - leading to wrong movement pattern learned… especially if this guy trains alone.

i think it may be better to just keep bodyweight towards the rear of the feet - towards the heels as you perform the movement. With the heels firmly on the floor at all times.

If you are not really experienced in giving form pointers and instructing - i wouldnt start on the net.

JJ

Is the bar rubbing your shins on the way up? It should be or if not it should be extremely close. Placing the bar too far forward of the feet will cause you to round your back while attempting the lift.

Eric Cressey wrote a very good article about diagnosing errors in DL form and execution.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1582703
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1588392

i have the same problem, but its only my right spinal erector that is painful…ive been trying to figure out the solution…today i deadlifted with a belt for the first time, right now my back feels pretty good, so perhaps the belt is a good thing.

Anyways im still trying to find a solution as well and i really don’t want to take time off.

For now you should ice your back and use IBprofen

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
i have the same problem, but its only my right spinal erector that is painful…ive been trying to figure out the solution…today i deadlifted with a belt for the first time, right now my back feels pretty good, so perhaps the belt is a good thing.

Anyways im still trying to find a solution as well and i really don’t want to take time off.

For now you should ice your back and use IBprofen[/quote]

Trust me man, don’t mess around with the deads for a couple weeks if you’re experiencing recurring pains. Just knock out a bunch of hack squats instead. In the grand scheme of things it’s not going to make a difference and you’ll return to 100% functionality MUCH quicker.

you are right dude

my back is sore again righy now, and ive decided to take out any spinal compression exercises for at least the next two weeks. I may see a doctor to make sure i do not have a serious injury

[quote]I think pushing through the heels is a visualisation trick more suited to the bio mechanics of the squat, the deadlift is more of a pull - thinking about pushing through the heels or even pushing through the floor with the feet will cause form/movement difficulties - leading to wrong movement pattern learned… especially if this guy trains alone.

i think it may be better to just keep bodyweight towards the rear of the feet - towards the heels as you perform the movement. With the heels firmly on the floor at all times.

If you are not really experienced in giving form pointers and instructing - i wouldnt start on the net.

JJ[/quote]

I agree with JJ. I rounded my back in the beginning too, but what I learned to do is keep my head up as high as I can while grabbing the bar, which should keep your butt down and back straight, and try to pull the bar against your shins all the way up.

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:

For now you should ice your back and use IBprofen[/quote]

Terrible fucking advice.

If a lift hurts, and the pain is neither from muscle fatigue or doms, then you need to analyze your form because something is wrong with it.

You don’t just pop some NSAIDs and continue fucking off.
You correct the form and then perform the lift properly!

terrible advice huh? i never advised him to “continue fucking off” , i just told him to take Ibprofen and Ice i dont understand what part of that is terrible

what if he is asthmatic and really cannot take NSAID’s, or has a serious stomach ulcer?

You prescribe drugs regular do you?!

Its a no no… just so you know for the future.

mmm not being able to bend over doesnt sound good. im a senior in highschool and suffered a ruptered disk and pinched nerve my junior year from improper lifting form…the first thing i noticed is that i could really bend over, but i continued to lift and not being able to bend over progressed into not being able to walk on my own for a couple of days. i deadlift now and it had done wonders for my bum back…

be on the safe side my man and go get it checked out…i wish i would have

i really appreaciate it guys. for now a few weeks off from DL and then i’ll drop about 100lbs and work on form. i thought i was doing good form , but obviously not. i’m gonna check out those links MC linked from Cressey. thanks again.

[quote]MC sp3 wrote:
Is the bar rubbing your shins on the way up? It should be or if not it should be extremely close. Placing the bar too far forward of the feet will cause you to round your back while attempting the lift.

Eric Cressey wrote a very good article about diagnosing errors in DL form and execution.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1582703
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1588392 [/quote]

Those articles will help tremendously, also try reading a book called Starting Strength, It’ll help with most the most basic exercises.

[quote]T_Driver wrote:
i really appreaciate it guys. for now a few weeks off from DL and then i’ll drop about 100lbs and work on form. i thought i was doing good form , but obviously not. i’m gonna check out those links MC linked from Cressey. thanks again.[/quote]

No problem buddy.
Just give it time to heal and then really work on the form.
Increase your poundages slowly. Do not sacrifice form for more weight. That comes much later, once the form is so ingrained that you do not need to think about it.