T Nation

Deadlift Help, Hips Shoot Up Too Fast

Hey all. I'm concerned that my hips shoot up too fast and my arms are not perpendicular to the floor. So like a forward lean I think. Anyway I'm sitting back as much as I can at the set up and as I pull so how do I go about correcting this? My plan is to lower the weight (TM) to what I can pull with proper form and go from there, but what should I do specifically to target the weakness? This is around 85%.

From what I can see, your feet are very far apart for a conventional stance, which is going to result in your hips rising because you aren't able to get any sort of meaningful leg drive with this set up. Basically, you're breaking the weight off the floor all hamstrings and lower back, and your hips are rising to the point where it can effectively do this.

I find a lower belt placement helps there as well. When I break the weight off the floor, I focus everything I have in getting my stomach tight by pressing it against my belt.

Sit back further. I know you said you are as far as you can go back, but you can see the weight stays on the front of your foot for the entire lift. Even at lockout your heel is off the floor. Knee pain after deadlifting?
Also seems like you lose the arch in your back as soon as the weight starts to move.
Drop the weight, and work on getting behind the bar. If your not doing them, add in weighted back extension.

It almost looked like you were getting on your toes, I thought I saw your heels leaving the ground. Once you set your grip, pull hard on the bar to straighten your back and pull your scapula down. Keep that position and pull your hips down and get your chest up and you will be in a much more optimal pulling position

• I don't think you're hips are necessarily shooting up too fast; it looks acceptable to me.
  • I don't agree that you need to sit back even more as this often produces the opposite effect you're trying to achieve.
  • You should focus on finding your isometrically tightest starting position and start there, regardless of your hip height. If you start in the strongest position, you won't have to shift to compensate.
  • If you're strongest starting position is obnoxiously unconventional then start to address weaknesses to correct this. But otherwise don't get too hung up on how high your hips are. The strongest deadlifters in the world all pull from various back angles depending on leverages.
  • Your stance does look really wide and kind of awkward. Maybe give us a front angle to see if there's something else going on.
  • Focus on pushing through your heels so you don't get up on your toes.
  • Check out Richard Hawthorne's video "the Deadlift is Push not a Pull" or something like that. I don't necessarily agree with all of it for everyone (obviously it works fantastically for him) but I think it will help you with your particular concerns here.

Your arms should not be perpendicular to the floor.

It really doesn't look bad but your back isn't strong enough to hold position as you start the pull.

With that warrior beard and Samurai top knot you MUST deadlift awesomely or all that is holy will come down upon thee!! lol

watch this. It helped me a bunch. I suspect you aren't locking in your back well enough and the result is what you are experiencing.

I'm just throwing shit out there since I haven't done it myself. Try pausing an inch off the floor. Record yourself and use weights light enough to allow yourself to hold your scapula slightly in front of the bar yet heavy enough where it takes effort to hold that position. I have never done this for deadlift (I do pause work just below the knee) but if I were in this situation I don't see why I wouldn't try it with the success I've had doing it for squat and bench.

The first reason for doing this is that it allows you to use a weight light enough that you start the lift in the correct position (instead of continually reverting back to your old habits - you want to change your bad habit right?). The second reason is the time under tension at that position (maybe a couple seconds) allows you to build muscle memory with the correct posture in that weak position. The third reason is you'll be able to see your hip position at 1" pause relative to the start and it shouldn't move very far. It is important that the weight is light enough for you to get into the correct position and heavy enough to require effort to maintain that position. You'll have to start off light but I guarantee you it'll get a lot easier in a month.

From seeing the video I would suggest taking 80-90% of your training weights and doing the 1" pause (1-2 seconds) in place of all your straight reps. Yes it sucks you have to use less weight but you could potentially change your form in 2-3 months.

Holy dog shit, putting my feet closer did magic fucking wonders. I can sit back so much more and my glutes activated in ways they never have.

Of course now I am not as strong as I previously thought, but that's fine. Hips still come up, but not as much as before but that's the faulty engram that needs correcting.

Thank you all.

Sounds pretty logical, the weights coming off anyway, I'll try the pauses for the technique corrections. Thanks man.

Disclaimer: I am not a great deadlifter. I am also the owner of some pretty shitty form.

Your forms not too bad, op.

At the start of the lift, you can see the barbell travels back to meet your shins. It should just go straight up, not back then up.

I find that people really let the bar pull back into their shins pretty hard during the lift to stop this backward movement from happening, without even realizing that they are doing it. I believe that the problem is that this will result in a hitch at the top in most cases. The bar should lightly drag up your shins/legs, but it should not have a lot of pressure in doing so.

When you start too far over the bar, and you pull, the bar has to be centered on your scapulae before it will come off the floor. Gravity will do this to everyone after you get to a certain percentage of your 1 rm. When you are pulling and your body is straining at 100% the bar is just moving back, not up. This causes power loss at the bottom. The bar will travel back to where it should have been in the first place, and your body will not automatically adjust, putting you in an awkward situation where your hips have to rise to where they are stronger, which causes your back to round because the bar isn't breaking off the floor...it is just moving back toward your body.

It only takes a split second for this all to happen.

Everyone's anatomy is different, so the exact details will vary from person to person too.

Maybe try keeping your shins more vertical, start the bar closer to your shins (1 inch from shins), hips a tad bit higher (maybe an inch or two), and shifting your weight back more (don't lean over the bar so much/push through your heels more). It should be ntoed that your arms will always be somewhat backward during the deadlift. (I can't remember why that is, but I think it has to do with lat activation, and scapular stabilization/balance.)

This may sound odd, but I find a narrow grip only really works well for me when I use double overhand (17 inches). When I go to mixed, I seem to be more comfortable gripping about an inch from the center knurling (about 19 inches apart). It can help my upper body not feel so awkward when I start the pull as well. I have also heard of people saying that they set up their supinated hand slightly wider than their pronated hand (something to do with elbow anatomy).

One thing I found to be helping me with my pulling is the addition of stiff legs (helping me load my posterior chain/build strength) and deficit deadlifts (for building overall pulling power and flexibility).

I hope this was helpful. I am sorry that I couldn't give you a definite, one size fits all answer.

You know the people that struggle the most and fix themselves give the best advice.

I measured my grip and before I made the adjustment it was 26 inches! So now I'm around 19 and it's much better.

The bar never made contact with my shins until I put my feet closer together the other day. After that everything felt more comfortable. I was actually doing the opposite of what's right for me, it's funny because I thought of having a closer stance last year and then said "nah, that won't work". I don't know why I thought a closer stance and grip would be counterproductive, but anyway, it feels much more natural now so now I know not to knock it before I try it.

At this point its lack of posterior strength and lat activation. I have no problem hitting perfect form with 70% and under, once you lift closer to your max form does break down, but not to the point that my lumbar spine has to take over. So weight has to come off, but putting weight on the bar is the easy part.

Holy smokes haha, 26 inches?

I think someone else noted above me that closer stance can help with more glute/ham activation. It should also be noted that your foot position will affect this as well. I would play with that a bit and see what you like.

Stiff legs are awesome. I feel like they help me improve my form every time I do them.

A few other really big names seem to like deficit stiff legs.

My regular stiff legs light my back and glutes/hams up for days after my lifts. I couldn't imagine doing them from a deficit. I need to master regular ones before I start adding the deficit though haha. I usually do a 6x5 and then add 5 lbs next week if I make all the reps.

Best of luck to you man! Do provide a new video when you figure it all out if you can. I would love to hear your write up of your individual fix.

I don't see the problem. Maybe you should try pulling with higher hips instead of forcing yourself into a position that clearly isn't ideal for you?

I used to have a similar problem. I watched a deadlift video with Stan Efferding, and he said the 'pull' is actually a 'push'. Imagine driving through the floor instead of pulling the bar up (he said imagine its like a leg press and you're pushing the floor/plate away).

I found that helped tremendously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA this fixed me.