T Nation

Deadlift: Hand Cramps, Foot Spasm

Recently I have had a couple of problems both related to my deadlifting…
when doing romanian deadlifts for high reps/ high weight (140kg for 12 reps, with an over over grip) when i remove my fingers from the bar it physically takes me minutes to actually be able to straighten them out again, and actually eats into the time before im supposed to start my next set, they stay curled and wont straigten for at least 90seconds. I use only chalk.

I also get foot spasms quite a lot in deadlifts that make me abort my set, especially when going heavy. I went for a 480lb pr but my left foot spasmed and i was forced to drop the weight, I train barefoot/with socks.

Drink less coffee

I am pretty much the same. There really is nothing i can do that requires grip without my hands just “pinching” into place. The only thing that I have found that helps, is that I’ve been stretching my hands constantly and slowly throughout the day. I also use my wife’s heels to press on the “balls” of my hands and it really helps after the workout. I’ve been doing this for a while and the only time it really happens is when I forget to stretch right before the workout…

just my 2 cents… hope it helps

[quote]HunterKiller wrote:
Drink less coffee[/quote]

interesting, i do take in my caffeine before my workout, why would this have such an effect?

chronic caffeines consumption particularly coffee can induce lots of cramps. I think the body forgets how to calm down. Your problem sounded similar to something iv experienced, drinking less coffee helped.

[quote]Letstalksense wrote:
Recently I have had a couple of problems both related to my deadlifting…
when doing romanian deadlifts for high reps/ high weight (140kg for 12 reps, with an over over grip) when i remove my fingers from the bar it physically takes me minutes to actually be able to straighten them out again, and actually eats into the time before im supposed to start my next set, they stay curled and wont straigten for at least 90seconds. I use only chalk.

I also get foot spasms quite a lot in deadlifts that make me abort my set, especially when going heavy. I went for a 480lb pr but my left foot spasmed and i was forced to drop the weight, I train barefoot/with socks.[/quote]

Try pulling in shoes. I understand the intention with the no shoes training thing, but it’s probably best used for specific proprioceptive or corrective work, especially if it’s causing you trouble when you train. Just try it and see if it helps the foot thing.

As far as the hands, I don’t know what to tell ya. My hands hurt after pulling heavy, I think it just comes with the territory.

My solution to the hand problem is cracking my knuckles old-fashioned style where you interlock the fingers palms facing away from you and you push out. Then I make sure all of my knuckles on both joints are cracked. Then I just stretch my hands out like I’m still cracking them in the manner described above. Works like a charm. I do this not only in the weight room, but when I’m playing guitar too.