Deadlift Grip

I’m not a big fan of gear. Mind you, my DL is only 210 for 3 sets of 5. I like pronated grip RAW. However im having trouble holding onto the bar. Is my grip weak or is it just the point where only mixed works or i need straps?
In theory, how much could you hold on to with pronated grip, no chalk and no straps?

Thanks

My double overhand grip is about 75 percent of my max with a mixed grip

Is not using chalk a choice?

Double overhand with no chalk I can probably hold around 75% of what I can hold with chalk, and that’s probably less than 75% of what I can hold with a mixed grip and chalk.

I don’t see why you should sell yourself short by not using mixed grip - it helps a lot just be sure to alternate so that no imbalances are formed (I fell trap to this).

I use the double overhand when doing smith rack pulls though.

I find that wrapping my gripping points with paper towels actually works really well.

You and your posterior chain are not going to win points by pulling baby weight with a double overhand grip. Do what you have to do to pull some big weight.

[quote]NewDamage wrote:
You and your posterior chain are not going to win points by pulling baby weight with a double overhand grip. Do what you have to do to pull some big weight.[/quote]

Good post.

I’ve seen this line of thought before. My question is simply, which is worse, a brutally strong PC with a slight chance of developing imbalances due to switching grips, or a weak PC because you’re afraid of these imbalances?

If my grip is stronger than my posterior chain, something is wrong.

Use straps and get that weight up to higher levels. Train grip separately.

AD

X2 Hanley

If you are that worried about the possibility of imbalances, just rotate your grip each week.

I pulled 420 conventional with a double overhand grip in my one and only meet. That was with chalk, but even without chalk, I could pull 405 in training. As you can see from the replies, different people have different opinions. If you want to use a double overhand grip, keep using it and it will get stronger.

Dan

I pulled 420 conventional with a double overhand grip in my one and only meet. That was with chalk, but even without chalk, I could pull 405 in training. As you can see from the replies, different people have different opinions. If you want to use a double overhand grip, keep using it and it will get stronger.

Dan

[quote]RockCrusher wrote:

Dan[/quote]

How did you achieve this?
I think i’m going to wear gloves for the DL and see if it helps.
How does one train for a stronger grip?

grippers, wrist rollers, farmers walks, and pinch gripping (hex dumbells and plates) are all ways to improve your grip.

Check out:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?cid=223

and

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1411503

[quote]blazindave wrote:
RockCrusher wrote:

Dan

How does one train for a stronger grip?[/quote]

Do you want soft hands for your girlfriend or do you want to lift more? Plus I think theres a rule somewhere saying powerlifters aren’t allowed to wear gloves :wink: Lifting without gloves will help develop calluses which will aid in producing a better grip.

Mixed grip is an option, but I would suggest learning hook grip while your still new to the sport. It will hurt, your fingers may get blistered and chaffed but its going to take a couple inches off your ROM and put you in a more ergonomic pulling position.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
RockCrusher wrote:

Dan

How does one train for a stronger grip?[/quote]

I tried gloves once and only once. They actually made it worse. The material on the palm basically pushed the bar further out onto my fingers which allowed me to lift even less.

without chalk I couldn’t pull hardly anything, I sweat so much and the bars at my gym are so shitty would be impossible to get a good grip. Anyways when I use double overhand-which is rare- I always hook grip. Its nearly as strong as my mixed grip, takes little getting used to buts its very effective.

[quote]Noodle_Arms wrote:

I tried gloves once and only once. They actually made it worse. The material on the palm basically pushed the bar further out onto my fingers which allowed me to lift even less.

[/quote]

I found the exact same thing. I used to always lift with gloves up until about two years ago. Then I started noticing that NONE of the strongest guys at my gym used gloves. So one day I tried deadlifting without gloves, and I instantly was able to lift another 20 lbs or so.

Definitely switch to a mixed grip if you want to progress. Use chalk if your gym allows it. You’ll be wondering why you didn’t switch sooner.

Skipping straps is fine, but your progress might take longer. I prefer chalk when I can use it. My gym complains when I do.

how is your set up? where are your hands on the bar? maybe that is part of the grip issue.

Mark Rippetoe on set up.

look at some vids of good pulls to see other peoples sets up. and where there hands are in relation to their feet.

I use the overhand grip, and then the mixed grip as I get heavier. You can switch up the hands during sets or week to week as
suggested ealier. Someone mentioned else the hook grip, I use this too it helps me too and its helped my cleans and snatch.

For a long time I used a mixed monkey grip like in jujitsu or judo-thumbless maybe someone who knows better will tell my why thats not a good idea and newdamage really nailed it
dont cheat yourself. the grip is the weakest link. My grip is good, with chalk I have much better pulls.

Grip training- I used to do towel chins, and plenty of pullups.

kmc

Look, I have never done any specific work for my grip. When I decided to switch to the overhand grip, my grip was my weak point. But, I didn’t switch back to the mixed grip. I did play with the hook grip for a while, but crushing my thumbs wasn’t to my liking and so I just went back to the overhand grip and before too long, my grip wasn’t the problem. The only other thing that I can remember is that when I take a grip, I make sure that my callouses are on top of the bar and not underneath. If I take a grip with the callouses underneath, my grip is significantly weaker. Make the switch if you want to and it won’t be that long before your grip isn’t the issue.

Dan

I would say your grip and lift are weak. This is okay as you seem to desire to improve them.

I can pull about 80% of my max double overhand I usually go mixed however as I am more worried about my form on the dl than grip.

Try a mixed grip, it should give you a big boost the first time you try it. Save straps for only supra-max attempts.

Monopoly

Also, use chalk. That stuff is of the Gods. If your gym doesn’t allow it, find another gym.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
I’m not a big fan of gear. Mind you, my DL is only 210 for 3 sets of 5. I like pronated grip RAW. However im having trouble holding onto the bar. Is my grip weak or is it just the point where only mixed works or i need straps?
In theory, how much could you hold on to with pronated grip, no chalk and no straps?

Thanks[/quote]