Deadlift Grip Questions

Is the mixed grip the strongest for everyone? As far as I understand, it is supposed to be and most seem to pull max weights that way though I have seen a few videos of competitors pulling very heavy with an overhand grip though maybe that is just a personal comfort and safety preference in the expense of weight?

Second, is there anything to the underhand grip? Would you recommend it and how much less/more should one expect to pull that way?

Finally, does anybody train pulling ultra-wide with a collar-to-collar grip? How much can you pull that way?

Just asking out of curiosity and perhaps to develop my own pulling training.

Pretty much the only ways to have a strong enough grip to pull max weights are to use a mixed grip or a hook grip (which is probably what you thought was an overhand grip - this is what the hook grip looks like: http://www.webefit.com/articles_100_199/ART_140_Img/HookGrip.jpg )

Using an underhand grip puts you at a little bit of a risk for a biceps tear (it happens with the underhand arm for mixed grip as well), so is generally not suggested.

I’m pretty short so a collar-to-collar grip would be pretty painful for me :stuck_out_tongue:

this is taken from an interview of jim wendler:

TM: Jim, what’s your opinion of mixed grip deadlifting? Yes, no, depends?

JW: This is a simple black & white issue with me. If you’re so worried about tearing a biceps that you don’t want to do a mixed grip deadlift, you clearly don’t want to lift big weight, and therefore you’re in the wrong hobby. You probably also own a lot of ties and drink wine- so you and I likely wouldn’t get along, either.

Now if you have grip problems, I highly recommend doing a double overhand grip for your warm up sets or your Boring-But-Big down-sets. But seriously, debating about a mixed grip? What the fuck has this world come to?

[quote]Kerley wrote:

JW: This is a simple black & white issue with me. If you’re so worried about tearing a biceps that you don’t want to do a mixed grip deadlift, you clearly don’t want to lift big weight, and therefore you’re in the wrong hobby. You probably also own a lot of ties and drink wine- so you and I likely wouldn’t get along, either.

Now if you have grip problems, I highly recommend doing a double overhand grip for your warm up sets or your Boring-But-Big down-sets. But seriously, debating about a mixed grip? What the fuck has this world come to?[/quote]

If hook grip offers all the grip strength that mixed grip does, but with 0 risk of a biceps tear, then there’s really no reason not to use it. I don’t think any of us are in the hobby of increasing injury risk with 0 benefit. That would be a stupid hobby.

[quote]lavi wrote:

[quote]Kerley wrote:

Now if you have grip problems, I highly recommend doing a double overhand grip for your warm up sets or your Boring-But-Big down-sets. But seriously, debating about a mixed grip? What the fuck has this world come to?[/quote]

If hook grip offers all the grip strength that mixed grip does, but with 0 risk of a biceps tear, then there’s really no reason not to use it. I don’t think any of us are in the hobby of increasing injury risk with 0 benefit. That would be a stupid hobby.[/quote]

Hook grip works for some people but not for everyone. I’ve never gotten it to work for me, my fingers are pretty short so I have problems locking onto my thumb in a good way. I’m stronger with a hook grip than with a normal overhand grip, but not as strong as I am with a mixed grip.

If you’re keeping your arms as straight as possible the risk of a bicep tear should be very, very low. I’ve made it a habit to flex my triceps hard before I start deadlifting.

i never believed that you could get a bicep tear if you actually do it porperly - perhaps people need to stretch them

I have problems with my left arm, long story. I use a mixed grip starting at around 275 lbs and up. Never once feared tearing a biceps tendon. Flex your triceps and don’t try to rip the weight off the floor and you’ll be fine. Pull to get the flex out of the bar, then drive thru the heels