T Nation

Deadlift Goals

[quote]stringer wrote:
ironmaniac508 wrote:
stringer wrote:
how do you plan to add 100lbs to your deadlift in less than 6 months?

I tend to shoot high for my goals but it works for me. I basically strengthen all the different muscles used for deadlifting with various lifts. Goodmornings for low back, close stance below parallel box squats for hams and glutes, thick bar work for grip. Also for explosive power I do high pulls up to my upper chest range while standing on an aerobic step. Oh yeah lots of rows and core work.

if you post a video of you with your avatar name written on your forehead deadlifting over 800lbs by december 31st 2009 i will eat my hat.[/quote]

Lol ok I’ll remember that later this year. But why the hell do I have to have my avatar name written on my forehead.

[quote]jonatan-shg wrote:
ironmaniac508 wrote:
jonatan-shg wrote:
ironmaniac508 wrote:
jonatan-shg wrote:
My goal is to do something above 600 by the end of this year. Good luck with your goal.

Good luck to you as well just curious whats your height and weight etc.

Height: 183cm
Weight: 194lb
Age: 16
I haven’t maxed out in a long time, but I’ve pulled 507 with lots of speed like a month ago.

Thats really good for your age and weight how long have you been training for?

Thank you for your kind words.
I’ve been training force something like 1Ã?½ years, but only organized, serious training since around christmas. I have long arms, good for deadlifting, sux for benching, I have only benched 264 with paused n chest.[/quote]

Did anyone start you out with lifting or help set up your training. I basically did all this shit myself with no guidance what so ever and to be honest that is the only way you can really learn is from your own mistakes. I used to think actually deadlifting every week was going to work in the long term for me, I know other people are different however.

[quote]ironmaniac508 wrote:

if you post a video of you with your avatar name written on your forehead deadlifting over 800lbs by december 31st 2009 i will eat my hat.

Lol ok I’ll remember that later this year. But why the hell do I have to have my avatar name written on my forehead.

[/quote]

it doesnt have to literally be on your forehead. i was just thinking of ways to illustrate my extreme scepticism that you think you will increase your deadlift from 700-800+ in under 6 months. this is for the following reasons:

-i do not think you can currently deadlift 700
-you are unaware just how strong an 800lb deadlift is
-you are a troll
-to think someone can in a straightforward manner increase their deadlift from 700-800 in a few months is laughable.

HOWEVER, if you are in fact too legit to quit, like i said post a vid in which you can prove it is you and pull 800+ in a deadlift by the end of the year and i will eat my hat.

however, i very strongly doubt any of your posts are genuine.

[quote]ironmaniac508 wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Well OP, I’m actually surprised that after your 2 years of training you don’t manage 405 in the overhead press yet. Or at least 375 or something like that to match your 700 lb pull.

Weight: 293
Height: 6’ 5"
Body fat %:
Years Training: 2

My overhead press has always been hard for me to develop. Deadlifting has always been natural for me. Ive done some sort of heavy manual labor since I was about 14 and that builds very strong hands and back. Also I’m built for deadlifting with the exception of my height, I mean my arms when at my sides are about 7" away from my knees which I guess is long I dont know. [/quote]

I could, for quite some time at the beginning, close-grip more than I could squat ATG. (and nowaday even my best back squat to PL depth only has about 70 or so lbs on my elbows-tucked CGP…) So yeah, I know what you mean with the leverages…

Good luck with your OHP then. I sure wish my floor deadlift were as easy to improve as my pressing.
With my somewhat shorter arms and fairly tight calves/hams, I’m pretty much forced to pull sumo as it is.

[quote]brownab wrote:
ironmaniac508 wrote:
By the end of 2009 I want to hit a 800+ deadlift. Current strength around 700. Just wanted to see if anyone has any goals for this year.

Video or it didn’t happen.[/quote]

I don’t see a video. Therefore, it didn’t happen.

[quote]brownab wrote:
ironmaniac508 wrote:
By the end of 2009 I want to hit a 800+ deadlift. Current strength around 700. Just wanted to see if anyone has any goals for this year.

Video or it didn’t happen.[/quote]

Okay pal, you said you did 435x3 sumo on the race to 500 deadlift page.
Video or it didn’t happen, seriously that shit gets old.

[quote]ironmaniac508 wrote:
jonatan-shg wrote:
ironmaniac508 wrote:
jonatan-shg wrote:
ironmaniac508 wrote:
jonatan-shg wrote:
My goal is to do something above 600 by the end of this year. Good luck with your goal.

Good luck to you as well just curious whats your height and weight etc.

Height: 183cm
Weight: 194lb
Age: 16
I haven’t maxed out in a long time, but I’ve pulled 507 with lots of speed like a month ago.

Thats really good for your age and weight how long have you been training for?

Thank you for your kind words.
I’ve been training force something like 1Ã??Ã?½ years, but only organized, serious training since around christmas. I have long arms, good for deadlifting, sux for benching, I have only benched 264 with paused n chest.

Did anyone start you out with lifting or help set up your training. I basically did all this shit myself with no guidance what so ever and to be honest that is the only way you can really learn is from your own mistakes. I used to think actually deadlifting every week was going to work in the long term for me, I know other people are different however. [/quote]

I’m from Europe, I deadlift 3-4 times everu week, and squat and bench as often.
I have people helping me though, yes. I started out without help, however.

[quote]stringer wrote:
ironmaniac508 wrote:

if you post a video of you with your avatar name written on your forehead deadlifting over 800lbs by december 31st 2009 i will eat my hat.

Lol ok I’ll remember that later this year. But why the hell do I have to have my avatar name written on my forehead.

it doesnt have to literally be on your forehead. i was just thinking of ways to illustrate my extreme scepticism that you think you will increase your deadlift from 700-800+ in under 6 months. this is for the following reasons:

-i do not think you can currently deadlift 700
-you are unaware just how strong an 800lb deadlift is
-you are a troll
-to think someone can in a straightforward manner increase their deadlift from 700-800 in a few months is laughable.

HOWEVER, if you are in fact too legit to quit, like i said post a vid in which you can prove it is you and pull 800+ in a deadlift by the end of the year and i will eat my hat.

however, i very strongly doubt any of your posts are genuine.

[/quote]

The way I set my goals with anything I always aim high. I’m going to train as hard and smart as possible to obtain my goals. However I will admit now that I’m thinking about it December is only 6 months away, that is laughable lol but I’m still going to go for it.

Goodluck with hitting 800, if you do it def post a video that will be sick

[quote]stringer wrote:
ironmaniac508 wrote:

if you post a video of you with your avatar name written on your forehead deadlifting over 800lbs by december 31st 2009 i will eat my hat.

Lol ok I’ll remember that later this year. But why the hell do I have to have my avatar name written on my forehead.

it doesnt have to literally be on your forehead. i was just thinking of ways to illustrate my extreme scepticism that you think you will increase your deadlift from 700-800+ in under 6 months. this is for the following reasons:

-i do not think you can currently deadlift 700
-you are unaware just how strong an 800lb deadlift is
-you are a troll
-to think someone can in a straightforward manner increase their deadlift from 700-800 in a few months is laughable.

HOWEVER, if you are in fact too legit to quit, like i said post a vid in which you can prove it is you and pull 800+ in a deadlift by the end of the year and i will eat my hat.

however, i very strongly doubt any of your posts are genuine.

[/quote]

Why should some guy go to the internet and spend his time on claiming to be able to do something, that he cannot do?

[quote]jonatan-shg wrote:

on claiming to be able to do something, that he cannot do?[/quote]

he doesnt sound like he has a clue what he is talking about thats why. 700-800+ in only 6 months???

on top of that hes only 19 years old. as far as im aware, andy bolton the greatest DLer in history was pulling around 900 at 19. if this guy is gonna pull 800+ at 19, that is pretty fucking rare to say the least. up there with the best of all time kinda rare.

a little perspective as well, the kid claims to be a strongman. derek poundstone, arguably the best strongman in the world DLs around 815 i think. misha koklaev around 900 or so. 800+ for a strongman is seriously seriously good. like best on the planet good.

obviously its not impossible, but it almost is.

[quote]ironmaniac508 wrote:
brownab wrote:
ironmaniac508 wrote:
By the end of 2009 I want to hit a 800+ deadlift. Current strength around 700. Just wanted to see if anyone has any goals for this year.

Video or it didn’t happen.

Okay pal, you said you did 435x3 sumo on the race to 500 deadlift page.
Video or it didn’t happen, seriously that shit gets old.
[/quote]

Except I am a 235lbs guy claiming to deadlift in the high 400’s, that not really impressive. You claim to pull 700+, there’s a difference. Also, I will not be declaring victory on the 5 plate deadlift until I do it in a meet on the 27th. It will be video taped and posted.

I dont know why people would post on the internet something they cant do BUT it is a common thing for some reason. See 435 is a believable and common. 700pds not so much… add on top of that he believes he can add a hundred pounds on his deadlift in six months and it sound like he’s full of it. Anyone thats lifted for any amount of time knows that when the numbers get big the increases get smaller. then again big guys tend to gain strength quick so maybe its possible???

i’m confusing myself… what was i trying to say??? Oh yeah asking for a video is a good question cause if he’s lift 700 that would be awesome to see and if he manages to hoist 800 by the end of the year that would be mad crazy awesome. Good luck bro and let us know how you do!

[quote]brownab wrote:

Except I am a 235lbs guy claiming to deadlift in the high 400’s, that not really impressive. You claim to pull 700+, there’s a difference. [/quote]

i hope you are not insinuating that the OP is full of shit!

[quote]stringer wrote:
brownab wrote:

Except I am a 235lbs guy claiming to deadlift in the high 400’s, that not really impressive. You claim to pull 700+, there’s a difference.

i hope you are not insinuating that the OP is full of shit!

[/quote]

I would never do that.

[quote]brownab wrote:
ironmaniac508 wrote:
brownab wrote:
ironmaniac508 wrote:
By the end of 2009 I want to hit a 800+ deadlift. Current strength around 700. Just wanted to see if anyone has any goals for this year.

Video or it didn’t happen.

Okay pal, you said you did 435x3 sumo on the race to 500 deadlift page.
Video or it didn’t happen, seriously that shit gets old.

Except I am a 235lbs guy claiming to deadlift in the high 400’s, that not really impressive. You claim to pull 700+, there’s a difference. Also, I will not be declaring victory on the 5 plate deadlift until I do it in a meet on the 27th. It will be video taped and posted. [/quote]

At my old gym, I had a friend who was 198lbs and pulled 700+.

[quote]stringer wrote:
jonatan-shg wrote:

on claiming to be able to do something, that he cannot do?

he doesnt sound like he has a clue what he is talking about thats why. 700-800+ in only 6 months???

on top of that hes only 19 years old. as far as im aware, andy bolton the greatest DLer in history was pulling around 900 at 19. if this guy is gonna pull 800+ at 19, that is pretty fucking rare to say the least. up there with the best of all time kinda rare.

a little perspective as well, the kid claims to be a strongman. derek poundstone, arguably the best strongman in the world DLs around 815 i think. misha koklaev around 900 or so. 800+ for a strongman is seriously seriously good. like best on the planet good.

obviously its not impossible, but it almost is.
[/quote]

Mega newb was also very tall and heavy and didn’t he pull like 700 at 16 y.o. or something equally crazy?
Yeah, his form/technique on most lifts wasn’t what most would accept, but he did pull huge weight off the floor…

It’s a lot easier to pull 700 than 800 or even 900 (obviously)…

That’s like the 600 lb (raw)bench. You get a suprising number of 500+ benchers, but VERY few manage a legitimate 600(+) in competition, and there’s only 2 I can think of who’ve benched 700 or more raw (Mendelson and Hoornstra… Though the latter didn’t do it in competition yet I think…).

With DL’s most good lifters seem to get stuck around 650-700+… The very good ones make it to 800(+)… Only the most gifted to 900+.

That being said, the OP’s training age of 2 years makes me wonder… But yeah, stranger things have happened and he hasn’t become hostile yet like most trolls seem to.

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
stringer wrote:
jonatan-shg wrote:

on claiming to be able to do something, that he cannot do?

he doesnt sound like he has a clue what he is talking about thats why. 700-800+ in only 6 months???

on top of that hes only 19 years old. as far as im aware, andy bolton the greatest DLer in history was pulling around 900 at 19. if this guy is gonna pull 800+ at 19, that is pretty fucking rare to say the least. up there with the best of all time kinda rare.

a little perspective as well, the kid claims to be a strongman. derek poundstone, arguably the best strongman in the world DLs around 815 i think. misha koklaev around 900 or so. 800+ for a strongman is seriously seriously good. like best on the planet good.

obviously its not impossible, but it almost is.

Mega newb was also very tall and heavy and didn’t he pull like 700 at 16 y.o. or something equally crazy?
Yeah, his form/technique on most lifts wasn’t what most would accept, but he did pull huge weight off the floor…

It’s a lot easier to pull 700 than 800 or even 900 (obviously)…

That’s like the 600 lb (raw)bench. You get a suprising number of 500+ benchers, but VERY few manage a legitimate 600(+) in competition, and there’s only 2 I can think of who’ve benched 700 or more raw (Mendelson and Hoornstra… Though the latter didn’t do it in competition yet I think…).

With DL’s most good lifters seem to get stuck around 650-700+… The very good ones make it to 800(+)… Only the most gifted to 900+.

That being said, the OP’s training age of 2 years makes me wonder… But yeah, stranger things have happened and he hasn’t become hostile yet like most trolls seem to.
[/quote]

I think there is kind of an unspoken policy on here that if you claim to be lifting heavy shit you have to back it up. I think the cut-off is about 3/4/5. If you don’t have a video of it, or at least have posted something that makes us think you are capable of it, don’t bring it up.

[quote]Da Vinci wrote:

At my old gym, I had a friend who was 198lbs and pulled 700+. [/quote]

sorry but i think i must be missing the point of this post.

are you suggesting that a 198 pulling 700+ isnt particularly impressive? i really hope you are not.

[quote]stringer wrote:
Da Vinci wrote:

At my old gym, I had a friend who was 198lbs and pulled 700+.

sorry but i think i must be missing the point of this post.

are you suggesting that a 198 pulling 700+ isnt particularly impressive? i really hope you are not.
[/quote]

I’m saying that a guy weighing in the mid 200’s pulling 700 is believable in my opinion. Why, can’t you deadlift in the 700’s?