Deadlift: Friend or Foe?

Sorry, yes i would perform this on both push days and both pull days. Does the layout i proposed look ok? would you ever consider performing the deadlifts in a strength capacity fashion with another exercise, alternating between the two?

Thanks Again

What would be the right technique when aiming for back hypertrophy. What is “fishing rod pulling style”.

Just a thought I had last night but do you think this strategy would only work for deadlifting? Or do you think it could be applied to other compound lifts like bench pressing and squatting?

Just came to this same conclusion Thursday last with even less volume. Worked up to a comfortable 5 rep set, ell underneath my 5rm, and backed off to 3 cluster sets of 2-2-2, backing off a little more than 20% of the 5 rep set. Repeated that Saturday. It just feels better. I haven’t planned how to increase the load so this post gives me something to consider.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:
ct. 2 questions.

1. this is regular deads, not ds bar deads? correct?
  2. ive been doing some light front and back squats almost every day to pick up my leg strength. can i replace the squats with this deadlift program?[/quote]

You cannot ‘‘replace’’ the squat by the deadlift, they are two different things. You can do this deadlift program with basically any routine.

It is regular deads yes. The Dead-Squat tend not to have the same issues as the regular deadlift and can thus be trained like the squat or bench (heavier).[/quote]

To ask one more follow up on this. Do you think the Dead Squat Launch fits into the same category as what you’re discussing here with the deadlift? Or since the DSL is more explosive and less maximal deadlift weight it is not as taxing on the body and CNS?

As always, thank you so much for all the great information!

My body has been telling me this for awhile regarding deadlifts.

I never go above 80% anymore. I stick to 70 to 75% for sets of 5. And even then the fatigue adds up and eventually gets to me.

Good post.

[quote]ggarrett wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:
ct. 2 questions.

2. ive been doing some light front and back squats almost every day to pick up my leg strength. can i replace the squats with this deadlift program?[/quote]

You cannot ‘‘replace’’ the squat by the deadlift, they are two different things. You can do this deadlift program with basically any routine.

It is regular deads yes. The Dead-Squat tend not to have the same issues as the regular deadlift and can thus be trained like the squat or bench (heavier).[/quote]

To ask one more follow up on this. Do you think the Dead Squat Launch fits into the same category as what you’re discussing here with the deadlift? Or since the DSL is more explosive and less maximal deadlift weight it is not as taxing on the body and CNS?

As always, thank you so much for all the great information! [/quote]

I think that the Dead-Squat launch automatically make this happen since you cannot use a lot more than 70% of your max deadlift. So automatically you aren’t very far from the ideal zone, which explains why the DS launch is less taxing than heavy deads.

[quote]briansays wrote:
Just a thought I had last night but do you think this strategy would only work for deadlifting? Or do you think it could be applied to other compound lifts like bench pressing and squatting? [/quote]

Not really… it really is designed to correct the “flaws” with deadlifting training and these flaws are really due to the nature of the lift. Although I could see it being used with olympic lift variations.

[quote]domcib wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:
ct. 2 questions.

got it. thank you.
im going to start out with it in the beginning of my session. maybe i can use it as an “activator”[/quote]
did them this morning. took 5 minutes. sorry, out of breath. great activator! did squats after that and they felt great!
thanks so much! i can see this working out very nicely. it will serve multiple purposes!

[quote]-Sigil- wrote:
Just have to chirp in and say CT is literally a training god. Like no exaggeration - I don’t even know who else shoots this straight/practical on “peformance” training for aesthetics. I scour the web in my ADD and I see other “coaches”/gurus touting unique combinations - oly lifting + gymnastics, pure barbell work, bodypart emphasis, etc. - but aside from the bodybuilding realm (PED’s cloud the picture) - the vast majoity of them don’t look that impressive. So it’s like, cool concepts but how come you don’t sport the power look/shredded?

Granted, taining wise what’s been done has been done and lot of themes are “rehashes” but the way CT introduces novelty, repackages stuff, stuctures workouts that consistently deliver gains. Another plus is his training style is damn fun.

Per rant, somewhat selfishly, I ask if there’s ANYWAY to structure ring work (gymnastics) into your program CT? From BC2, you said, paraphrased, “I’ve tried powerlifting, olympic lifting, stongman, bodybuilding, and NOTHING came close to developing my entire back as gymnastic progessions”. Could you share some of these holds/movements and maybe some insight on how to integrate this into your barbell system? I’m liking the combined “stimulation” of, say, explosive, powerful SGHP then proceeding with controlled tension/pump on ring work. It feels right/fun/effective but I don’t want to be driving blind long term…

[/quote]

CT - sorry if the question was unfitting but just wanted to check if you hadn’t glossed over it. Thanks…

[quote]ggarrett wrote:

[quote]domcib wrote:
ct. 2 questions.

As always, thank you so much for all the great information! [/quote]

I think that the Dead-Squat launch automatically make this happen since you cannot use a lot more than 70% of your max deadlift. So automatically you aren’t very far from the ideal zone, which explains why the DS launch is less taxing than heavy deads.[/quote]

@CT

sorry to interject, but i was wondering what your oppinion is on Dead Squat Launch versus normal Dead Squat Bar Deadlifts for hypertrophy? - the launch technique hits the explosive element of the fast twitch fibers, and allows for higher frequency (less CNS stress) whereas the standard deadlift technique allows for greater loads usually… whats your thoughts?

I know I’m not CT, but by my measurements my legs are bigger from dead-squat launch …I actually lost a little weight & my legs were still bigger after no regular dead-squat deadlifts …they look better too & I feel much more total leg stimulation from DSL. Just thought I’d share my own case study…hope that helps

[quote]What did I do?

1. I lowered the load significantly

2. I increased frequency (to maximize technical efficiency)

3. I turned it into a strength-capacity challenge

4. Because of the light load, I was able to focus on the technique that gives me the best muscle loading (low hips start, arched back) [/quote]

This sounds suspiciously like a clean deadlift. Would that be a fair statement? If so then I agree it is a tremendous exercise.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:

[quote]What did I do?

1. I lowered the load significantly

2. I increased frequency (to maximize technical efficiency)

3. I turned it into a strength-capacity challenge

4. Because of the light load, I was able to focus on the technique that gives me the best muscle loading (low hips start, arched back) [/quote]

This sounds suspiciously like a clean deadlift. Would that be a fair statement? If so then I agree it is a tremendous exercise. [/quote]

Yes it is

CT, if a person’s main goal was strength, would you advocate touch and go, paused, or reset between reps?

@CT:

Interesting today I did the 13x2 in 5 secs less than yesterday’s 10x2 with same weight.

Granted, I was coming from a few days off. And, yesterday’s time was pathetic (5:30) today was 5:25.

But, I don’t think that your strength-endurance increases that much in just 1 WO…?

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
@CT:

Interesting today I did the 13x2 in 5 secs less than yesterday’s 10x2 with same weight.

Granted, I was coming from a few days off. And, yesterday’s time was pathetic (5:30) today was 5:25.

But, I don’t think that your strength-endurance increases that much in just 1 WO…?

[/quote]

I had the same thing occur… in fact my 10 x 2 was 4:22 the first week and 3:20 the next week… I think it has a lot to do with learning at which pace you can go.

[quote]Mutsanah wrote:
@CT:

[/quote]

I had the same thing occur… in fact my 10 x 2 was 4:22 the first week and 3:20 the next week… I think it has a lot to do with learning at which pace you can go.[/quote]

Agreed!

I sped up my pace at the beginning in today’s session. Made myself think in ‘mini-sets’.

I did 4 sets in the first 60 secs with no loss in performance. Then paced myself into the final 9 sets…Total time 5:25 for 13 sets of 2.

Still, after high pulls, doing these, I was gassed!

Awesome conditioning tool…along with practicing technique and explosion, leg drive, focus…so many things.

Fun stuff!

CT, do you/can you incorporate a basic ramp to max working up to singles before your ‘work’ sets of doubles?

Eg:
Ramp to max: 80kgx6, 100x3,120x3, 140x2,150x2, 160x1,170x1,180x1,190x1,195x1,200x1,205kg x1

then

125kgs x10 sets of 2 for speed

@ct. in proportion to my other lifts, my “weakest link” are my legs. i’d like to try this with back squats, and/or front squats. i think it could help with the mobility, flexibility, strength issues, along with practicing proper form. what do you think?