T Nation

Deadlift Frequency

Coach, I’ve always done well on training the same fullbody routine, with the same few exercises, over and over again, at a fairly high frequency, but I realize this can be treaky on the deadlift, since it can put a lot of stress on the CNS. I would like to know your opinion about deadlifting 3 days a week, submaximal (ramp to no more than about 80%), is it too much or can be done? Thanks.

From my experience you can go heavy once a week or once every 10 days on deadlifts. Yes it is possible to train it more often, but it has to be submaximal work focused on perfecting technique and speed. And when I say submaximal I mean submaximal in load (no more than 80%) and in reps (no more than 3 reps)… going to “repetition failure” is as stressful as a max effort lift.

That’s pretty much what I’ve been doing, deadlifts, overhead presses and One hand Pull up practice, 3 days a week. For the deads and presses I ramp up to about 80% and do 1-3 sets of 3. My fear was that, as the 80% gets heavier, it would be too much, but it’s good to know I’m on the right track. Thanks coach