T Nation

Deadlift Form

I read the 'ignorant when it comes to deadlifts?' article yesterday and found it very useful so I thought I'd video myself from the side doing a deadlift to see if my form was as good as I thought, I'd appreciate any feedback. It looks like I'm standing a bit too far from the bar because I lift the bar towards my body before going up in a vertical line so this is an easy mistake to fix. But also, is my hip position too low at the start?

The video was the right way up on my computer! what the hell you could all probably do with a bit of neck stretching anyway

[quote]sepehr1987 wrote:
I read the ‘ignorant when it comes to deadlifts?’ article yesterday and found it very useful so I thought I’d video myself from the side doing a deadlift to see if my form was as good as I thought, I’d appreciate any feedback. It looks like I’m standing a bit too far from the bar because I lift the bar towards my body before going up in a vertical line so this is an easy mistake to fix. But also, is my hip position too low at the start? [/quote]

Depends. What are your goals? What are you trying to accomplish by practicing the deadlift? I would say that from a powerlifting perspective, you’re starting too low. But if you don’t actually compete in the sport of powerlifting, that’s not particularly important. Are you training to improve your 1rm? To be more athletic? To compete in weightlifting? Just for funsies?

I’m never going to compete in powerlifting, my main goals are to build strength and some size.