T Nation

Deadlift Form

[quote]Barge wrote:
One downside I’ve seen to using straps is that you can typically use a little more weight because the double overhand position lets you get a little longer.

If you pull with a hook grip it’s probably not an issue.[/quote]

It’s funny you see that as a negative. I actually find that to be one of the positives of straps in my training. Being able to go heavier in training meant that the lighter weight I pulled in a meet felt really light.

You do realize not all deadlifts in strongman are done with a cart of rocks, right?

Train how you compete. Straps are allowed, more power to him

all i do / know is powerlifting and in that sport u can have the strongest erectors on the planet and a hydrolic suit but if your grip is weak you are dead in the water, kinda like going bear hunting with a switch imo

[quote]serial lifter wrote:
all i do / know is powerlifting and in that sport u can have the strongest erectors on the planet and a hydrolic suit but if your grip is weak you are dead in the water, kinda like going bear hunting with a switch imo[/quote]

This is so absolutely true. It’s why I find grip training crucial for success in the sport, and something a lot of folks neglect because they think just deadlifting is sufficient for that. Things like timed holds with a double overhand grip, timed holds with grippers, and even some strongman event stuff like farmers can go a LONG way.

agreed,haha turned out to be an interesting thread,the guy posted his question /vid on a powerlifting forum about a powerlifting movement so i gave him powerlifting suggetions from my powerlifting exp,which is why i said “lose the straps” but when not training for power lifting, sure use straps if its an asset to do so. haha, if my sport DID allow straps for dead lift i would have the latest triple ply super extra grippy ones;)

[quote]serial lifter wrote:
agreed,haha turned out to be an interesting thread,the guy posted his question /vid on a powerlifting forum about a powerlifting movement so i gave him powerlifting suggetions from my powerlifting exp,which is why i said “lose the straps” but when not training for power lifting, sure use straps if its an asset to do so. haha, if my sport DID allow straps for dead lift i would have the latest triple ply super extra grippy ones;)[/quote]

Amazingly, I’ve had a lot of success in powerlifting by using things that aren’t allowed in competition. Touch and go reps, multiple reps per set, swiss bars, safety squat bars, bands, chains, machines, dumbbells, etc.

I’ve known a lot of folks that have succeeded by being purist, but I’ve also known a lot that used a variety of tools to get there. To me, a strapped deadlift is just one more tool. As long as your comp deadlift goes up, everything is good.

Sorry to derail the thread TC. Can definitely make a different one if you’d like. I didn’t see much more need to comment on DL technique, as what input has been given was spot on.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]Barge wrote:
One downside I’ve seen to using straps is that you can typically use a little more weight because the double overhand position lets you get a little longer.

If you pull with a hook grip it’s probably not an issue.[/quote]

It’s funny you see that as a negative. I actually find that to be one of the positives of straps in my training. Being able to go heavier in training meant that the lighter weight I pulled in a meet felt really light.
[/quote]

As long as you’re aware of it and used to it then I can see that.

So, I’ve been playing around with my deadlift. I tried sumo for a couple sessions but wasn’t immediately stronger that way. I can’t say it wouldn’t be the strongest setup for me in the long run, but I didn’t feel a carryover to conventional. Honestly, I want to fix my conventional rather than work around it with sumo. I know this is the powerlifting forum, but I’m interested in strongman.

So, I’ve been running Coan/Phillipi and feel like I’m getting stronger. I hit 445 for two and it felt pretty fast. Unfortunately, I don’t have video. Anyways, the good thing about this program is that I’ve been doing more total sets of deadlift than I would normally, so I’ve had a chance to try different things out. I feel like starting with higher hips and getting more over the bar (as opposed to behind it) makes me feel a lot stronger. Here is a video of 320x3.

The down side of this form is that I definitely feel like my back is rounding more. Next week I am hitting 420X2 and I’ll get video of that. I just wanted to know what the thoughts are on this set.

[quote]Barge wrote:
Are you that slow off the floor on purpose because holy crap man… pull already.

Also, like almost everyone else that posts… no hips. Hips finish the movement not your back.[/quote]

How do you activate hips?

As promised, I hit 420x2 yesterday. My back looks about the same as 320x2, but the speed is quite a bit better. What say you?

I’d say that your back rounding may from your belt getting in the way, common complaint among conventional pullers. Also I think more speed off the floor would help you out tremendously.

I feel the same about my belt. I can get a straight back without my belt, but I’m still stronger with the belt. Is there a good solution to this problem? Do I need a thinner or narrower belt? I’m using a 13mm inzer forever lever belt, so it’s pretty thick and beefy.

I thought this was a very informative article