T Nation

Deadlift Form Help?

Any advice? I feel like I have mobility issues. Weak lower back?
I definitely need help.

The only thing I would suggest is that your shoulders are a little in front of the bar when you start. To remedy that, open your knees a little to get back; start with your shoulders directly over the bar. The mental cue that finally made this click for me was “balls to the bar.” Getting your balls as close to the bar as possible before you start should get you back in good position to start.

[quote]Dr J wrote:
The only thing I would suggest is that your shoulders are a little in front of the bar when you start. To remedy that, open your knees a little to get back; start with your shoulders directly over the bar. The mental cue that finally made this click for me was “balls to the bar.” Getting your balls as close to the bar as possible before you start should get you back in good position to start.[/quote]

Basically what I was going to say, take the extra two seconds to pull your shoulders back. Which will in turn pull your hips down a little more allowing you to push them in horizontally

Doesn’t look that bad.

It looks like you get into position and when you breathe in, lose your tightness. Try breathing at the top. Either breathe in before you grab the bar or bend over, grab the bar, breathe in, and then pull yourself into position. I prefer option two, but either way it helps you stay tight and keep your back locked in.

Dave Hoff does option 1

Vince Urbank does option 2

Third option to create tension with breath: use your diaphragm to tighten as you breathe out DURING the lift. Holding breath creates tension ON the body (like a bladder pushing out), the breathing during the lift creates tension FROM the body. If the goal is max weight, it’s more optimal to hold the breath, but you’re relying on that weight belt if you do.

Also, to the point of losing tension BEFORE the pull, take a second to try to snap the bar like superman- this’ll turn on those lats to anchor your pull.

[quote]cparker wrote:

[quote]Dr J wrote:
The only thing I would suggest is that your shoulders are a little in front of the bar when you start. To remedy that, open your knees a little to get back; start with your shoulders directly over the bar. The mental cue that finally made this click for me was “balls to the bar.” Getting your balls as close to the bar as possible before you start should get you back in good position to start.[/quote]

Basically what I was going to say, take the extra two seconds to pull your shoulders back. Which will in turn pull your hips down a little more allowing you to push them in horizontally[/quote]

x3. Other than that it looks pretty good.

Thanks guys, I’ll give it a try and post another vid soon.