T Nation

Deadlift Form Difference

Which deadlift looks better? Skip to 1:35. Any feedback would be appreciated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8G8fQsdHy8

The second one - if the one you posted a week or so ago is what you mean, coming just after 01:35. I’m kind of confused, because the whole video is you pulling.

One thing I noticed in a bunch of the videos is how you tuck your chin and look down. IMO that is a really bad idea. The one where you don’t seems the most comfortable, and that is last week’s video starting at 01:44

That being said, your position in the 01:35 video seems pretty good, apart from the chin tuck. You keep a nice trunk angle and really push off with your legs as opposed to using your back to start the lift.

Honestly, though, whichever one feels best during and after is the one for you. Doesn’t matter what it looks like as long as it gets white lights and doesn’t hurt you.

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
The second one - if the one you posted a week or so ago is what you mean, coming just after 01:35. I’m kind of confused, because the whole video is you pulling.

One thing I noticed in a bunch of the videos is how you tuck your chin and look down. IMO that is a really bad idea. The one where you don’t seems the most comfortable, and that is last week’s video starting at 01:44

That being said, your position in the 01:35 video seems pretty good, apart from the chin tuck. You keep a nice trunk angle and really push off with your legs as opposed to using your back to start the lift.

Honestly, though, whichever one feels best during and after is the one for you. Doesn’t matter what it looks like as long as it gets white lights and doesn’t hurt you. [/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Yeah someone once told me to keep my chin tucked to keep a neutral spine but I guess that’s wrong plus it feels really uncomfortable anyways

Tucking the chin is a good idea for safety, just don’t exaggerate it like you did in the video at one point; neutral rather than arched backwards or rounded is the aim.

I agree with the posts above. The cue of tucking your chin helps you engage those neck muscles and it’s okay to look up slightly if you still engage those muscles. It’s only a bad thing if you lose tightness from looking up so high and lose your positioning. I found that if I look down too much, I have a tendency to lead with my hips. Wherever you look, you’ll be fine as long as your chest shoots up and hips shoot forward.

[quote]andy7411 wrote:

[quote]MarkKO wrote:

Honestly, though, whichever one feels best during and after is the one for you. Doesn’t matter what it looks like as long as it gets white lights and doesn’t hurt you. [/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Yeah someone once told me to keep my chin tucked to keep a neutral spine but I guess that’s wrong plus it feels really uncomfortable anyways
[/quote]

Don’t know if this’ll help, but for all my pulls I seem to end up looking at a point on the floor about six feet in front of me; and for sumo I tend to keep my upper back and neck pretty relaxed compared to conventional where I squeeze the hell out of it.