T Nation

Deadlift Form Critique

Hey guys -- Have started 5/3/1 and am loving it. The only concern I have is around my deadlift form.

Attached a vid doing some light reps.

Any feedback / hints you have are greatly appreciated, criticism is all good, just want to lock this form down.

Cheers --

Steve

Got sloppy after the first rep. Keep your core tight and back flat throughout, hips may need to come down a bit

Agreed, looks like you had the lats engaged, nice tight upper back for the first rep but it got sloppier from there. If it gets sloppy at a light weight, once you start getting into the heavier sets you’ll be in trouble. Other than that looked good.

I agree with the above. Learn to keep everything tight regardless of how much weight is on the bar. You aren’t going to lock down form using only light weight so don’t be afraid to keep pushing it. Doing lots of pullups, chins and rows will help.

Thanks for the feedback guys, definitely a journey but want to make sure I get form locked down.

Any tips for staying tight coming down after the first rep? Think it might come from my breathing where I breathe in before coming down for the first rep keeping things tight, but then just get out of sync after that…

Started adding in Yates rows and RDLs on deadlift day as well.

Again, thank you for the feedback!

[quote]spoitras wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys, definitely a journey but want to make sure I get form locked down.

Any tips for staying tight coming down after the first rep? Think it might come from my breathing where I breathe in before coming down for the first rep keeping things tight, but then just get out of sync after that…

Started adding in Yates rows and RDLs on deadlift day as well.

Again, thank you for the feedback![/quote]

It’s really just learning how to keep the muscles tight. It’s similar to keeping your biceps and triceps tense at the same time when flexing and extending your elbows, regardless of how much weight you’re using. You just have to learn to do this with all of your back, abs and hips - be able to flex the muscles when you want which is throughout the rep. It’s easier as your muscles get bigger and stronger and as you develop a better sense of awareness over time. You might start off only being able to keep a few areas tight throughout the rep but all you can do is keep learning to get more muscles involved over time. Light work can help in learning how muscles feel if you go for the pump. Eventually you’ll know how it feels to be in good position.

For breathing, learn to draw in as much air as possible by expanding your rib cage as you inhale. You can practice by doing drills where you fully exhale for 5 seconds and fully inhales for 5 seconds, then brace your abs and entire back hard for 5 seconds. You might get light headed from doing this so take it easy the first time.