Deadlift Form Check

Some thoughts:

On the set with 160kg the first rep showed some improvement (being the best looking of the bunch with the rest looking progressively worse lel). Little bit of rounding still but I can see the improved torso bracing and attempt at maintaining a good position. Good job so far.

We know lel.

Keep hitting the issue from all angles and remember to be patient. Sometimes these kind of things take a while even to just unlearn the way you previously pulled. So for that purpose perhaps 160kg is too heavy for your top end working sets. A good weight for technique development will challenge your technique without being so heavy that you can’t think/focus/concentrate on technique and/or force your form to breakdown. If that’s what your program calls for then by all means but understand for technical gains maybe a 4 sets of 2 reps with 140-150kg will be more beneficial.

With all that work muscles are gonna start getting tired and that can increase the likelihood of form breakdown or even make it inevitable. Usually I’d recommend not being in this situation in the first place lel in the interest of safety and longevity. Every shitty rep is a step backwards pre much so we don’t want to do high reps or super high volume work outs in the interest of technical gains.

Maybe you’re a strong squatter who happens to be a shitty deadlifter lel. Not typical by any means but there are plenty around.

I wouldn’t focus on any one specific muscle group. At worst they might be a ittle bit disproportionately weak but the solution is the same: Get bigger and stronger everywhere i.e. in quads, hams and glutes. Tho if say have a history of neglecting hamstring/glute dominant stuff e.g. romanians, stiff legs etc. might be worth a go. All the rounded back deadlifting over time actually works your glutes and hams less vs a neutral back so might be something there.

Pauses probably are best done low rep as per the above with it being harder to focus on technique on 12 rep sets and fatigue forcing form break down.Total volume is up to you but IMO the majority of your volume goes into hitting the comp lift cleanly instead of pauses.

When chris was on about romanian to learn hip hinging

1 Like