Deadlift Form Check

Could someone tell me if this Is good form and what I could do better. This was filmed around 1 month ago and is a 15KG PR of 165KG. Not the best angle but will try and record again and get a better angle of similar weight.

I think I slipped a disc watching this.

3 Likes

2 Likes

thanks, i didn’t think my form was that good as it was a pr set. I’ll just focus on my form instead but I wasn’t sure whether to stand higher or lower as different videos say different things

1 Like

Alan Thrall has a good video discussing the different body types and how they affect your deadlift. You look like you have pretty long legs, this could lead to a more bent-over starting position, which is not always as bad as people think it is - except if, as is the case in your video, your hips rise and your back rounds before the bar leaves the ground. The angle is not good, as you said, but your shoulders look far in front of the bar, and you may need to pull up AND back instead of just up.

Also, the video started with you bent over so I don’t know how long you were in that position beforehand, but you spent just shy of 30 seconds bent over with a completely rounded spine, gripping the bar over and over. Honestly, that alone is not good for your back. Now load over 300 pounds onto your spine in a compromised position, and voila - permanent damage to your back.

Post a video of you deadlifting a plate on either side.

1 Like

Thanks, I didn’t realise how bad it actually was but I’m going to just work on my form today and obviously improve it.

Way to young to be compromising your back for no good reason. Deadlifts arnt bad for you but done with too much weight and poor form is asking for back issues for the rest of your life.

Can I ask why you went for a 15kg 1rm?

I did my normal 1RM easy enough with good form and I just wanted to test it but I did 160KG before this aswell so I knew my form would of went a bit as it’s the heaviest I’ve gone but now I’m just going to go lighter and focus on my form

I like to have the mindset that even PR singles or sets, MUST be done properly. I’m sure it’s limited how much I’ve actually lifted, but my spinal health is intact…Personally, pulling 350 with a double overhand grip and a perfectly flat back is more impressive than pulling 400 and looking like shit.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve realised that now, I wasn’t sure that I could even lift it so that’s probably a reason my form wasn’t good either.