Deadlift Form Check

Hope this is the right sub forum for this, the pinned post said so so don’t blame me!

Deadlift is by far my worst lift and I tend to get some lower back pain/stiffness after doing them. I don’t think my form looks too bad but clearly doing something wrong.

First vid is with 315lbs 4 days ago, 2nd vid is from today with 295. Tried something a little different today and I think that helped

If you look close at the first video, you can see you’re kinda “leaning over.” At the bottom you can see the bar move Away from you at the start. Because you pushed your knees forward, and your shins came forward pushed the bar out in front of you. Instead of Hinging Back you just sorta lean over forward. This makes the bar far away and you use lots of low back.

Second video, you do a good job of standing tall and getting the hips and glutes involved. You kinda lean a little on the 1st and last rep. But overall you do a better job of Hinging Back and pulling the bar into you, instead of leaning over and letting it get away to the front.

Keep it up!

1 Like

2nd vid I tried to be a little more patient in the set up. When pulling the slack out I tried to not only feel heavy in my hands but heavy in my feet as well before starting the pull. Maybe that’s what I need to start doing.

I know what I’m supposed to do (I think) but getting my body to actually do it is kinda tricky

Shoulders are far in front of the bar. Pulling up AND back will help, and turn your elbows out and pinch your armpits to activate the lats - this will get your shoulders further back too. Your back actually looks way straighter than I thought it would once you start pulling, so that’s good news for when you adjust your shoulder position.

1 Like

I think your upper back is weak relative to the rest of you otherwise no glaring problems.

Your back can take a lot of punishment so don’t be afraid to do lots of uoper back work.

@loganator snatch grip deadlift will work that upper back.

I did a set of RDLs with snatch grip and 1 set of ten nearly smoked my back. I plan to do it as a variation in this darkhorse we are running for the next cycle

1 Like