Deadlift Form Check

Yes, similar. Think of the GM as a glute or hamstring isolation exercise. I am talking about stabilizer, antagonist, etc muscles used, not just the main target.

When the weight comes down (the way it did in the last rep) all weight is changed to a few muscles vs, well, what the dead lift uses. Stabilizer for the deadlift is the erector and most upper back muscles (Traps, rhomboids, etc). Good morning are erector and quads. Your quads don’t have time to kick in and the full weight of whatever you have on the bar goes to your erector.

I have had back problems for over 35 years. I have studied with a lot of powerlifter, olympic lifters, college coaches, etc because, damnit, I wanted to deadlift. I learned that form is everything and after a while, you have to stop asking and grab that bar. This is just an FYI, btw.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I want to happen on my deadlifts. So I’m still not seeing a problem. I WANT the bar to descend fast. I’m not a fan of making the eccentric portion of the deadlift harder than it needs to be. I see little value in it. I think it’s a good way to tax the CNS unnecessarily, and I think the way you’re describing how you think he SHOULD descend will make him more injury prone.

Everyone’s heard of ‘good morninging a squat’. I’ve never heard it in the context of a deadlift.

The fact that I did not like your answer is not the reason WHY it was useless. It was useless because your meaning was not properly conveyed to the recipient. It was useless because it did not carry your intended message. Has nothing to do with me ‘liking it’ or not.

Youtube videos that helped me:

-How to deadlift (the art of manliness)

-Deadlift in 5 steps (Allan Thrall)