Deadlift Form Check

Hi, thanks, I will keep these points in mind.

Yeah I noticed when I dropped the hips on the first rep it felt like the momentum was in front of me. I have to remind myself not to drop the hips because it is an unconscious thing that happens to a lot of lifters in the tutorial lifters when they are being taught to deadlift.

1. I will work on keeping the core tight.
  2. Yeah, I have a mobility issue. What exercises would you recommend for helping to keep the lower back in neutral? It’s something I am consciously trying to achieve in the sets by putting my chest up on the set up but its not really as effective as I thought it would be (because, well, I have the mobility issue)

I think stretching the hamstrings and doing some glute activation stuff prior to the workout would suffice for your mobility. Don’t need to get too anal about this.

Do Romanian Deadlifts starting from the unrack position. Lower the bar by pushing your hips back, not bending over. You should feel the stretch in your hamstrings. Your core should be braced throughout and there should be no strain on your lower back at all. Your hips should be bearing the load. If you do this right, there should be no change in your lower back angle. Lower until mid shin and explode up by flexing the HIPS. Squeeze your glutes hard. When you do this right, there will automatically be no hyperextension at the top. If you can’t reach mid shin without rounding your lower back, go as low as you can and gradually work your way lower.

When you set up for the actual deadlift, lower yourself to the bar by pushing your hips back just like you do with the RDL. Things should fall into place from there.

1 Like