Deadlift Form Check

I am a 5’7" 150 lb female. I’ve been lifting seriously for about a year. My best pull is 300# for 1, but I’ve reset in weight to work on form. This video is the second set of a 3x3x165. I have historically had issues with my hips coming up before the bar, as well as a severely rounding back. I believe the cause to be very weak hips: I can straight leg deadlift significantly more than I can pull conventionally. I’ve reset way down to try and fix this problem.

Video not working, try reposting.

The video works ill leave it to the experts too comment on form

video try #2

The video works fine. I do find YouTube to be far most efficient when it comes to posting on here. Just upload the video(you can have it unlisted if you like) and copy/paste the url into the post. As for the deadlift, I don’t feel qualified enough to give too much advice on the actual pull itself but have you tried pushing with your legs more instead just pulling on it. Uhhhh, I’m sure someone will come along and explain what I mean.

[quote]Armygurl94 wrote:
I am a 5’7" 150 lb female. I’ve been lifting seriously for about a year. My best pull is 300# for 1, but I’ve reset in weight to work on form. This video is the second set of a 3x3x165. I have historically had issues with my hips coming up before the bar, as well as a severely rounding back. I believe the cause to be very weak hips: I can straight leg deadlift significantly more than I can pull conventionally. I’ve reset way down to try and fix this problem. [/quote]

You look uncomfortable as hell and looks like your mind is racing. The form itself looks pretty good, no bar drift, no hips shooting up, etc. I would start the pull with the bar farther away from your chins though as it looks like you are a little above the bar on start, and when it gets heavy, this will cause you to drift the bar forward and hips shoot up.

Is this comfortable for you, this approach, form, etc? If not, post a video doing about 80% for a single. And, go and pull it however feels comfortable / natural to compare.

One thing about deadlift is there is the right way, the wrong way, and your way. Often times, the wrong way is your way, but you are weaker when doin the right way.

My gym buddy was having lockout issues at 500 on sumo, he just couldn’t get it. The bar jumped off the ground, but he was stuck every time. I told him, approach the bar, get set up like normal, but instead of grabbing the bar and leaning back, then pulling, I said go straight down with your legs / body / arms and pull the damn thing. He has no issues now.

Think of it this way. When you pick up a piece of laundry on the ground, do you keep your legs straight, bend over, grab it, then drop your hips to come up? Or, do you drop straight down to around a 45 degree angle to grab it off the ground? You are pulling the “right” way, what I’m describing may be the “wrong” way, but it is “my” way and works for me, and could work for you.