T Nation

Deadlift Form Check

G’day and happy new years to everyone, ive been deadlifting for a year now i neglected it 3 years making excuses. I started to lift at only 60kgs (inc) bar and i use struggle now im able to pump 5 reps with ease at 220kgs (485lbs). A kid came up to me at the gym and asked about my technique and form because hes never seen it before,on all my reps i hyper extend my back cause i get a nice burn in my core.

Im never sore the next day after deadlifts or ever feal like im damaging anything i wake up fine and honestly do it all over again,i do a whole day on deadlifts 12 sets of 5-20 reps depending on how heavy the weight is, i asked a friend to record me and i realised i hyperextend alot and im not sure if this is because of bad form or im not activating the right muscles on the lift my mate always tells me my form is fine but after watching the video and comparing to other deadlifts mine definitely doesnt look right.

Im 178cms/5’11 and 86kgs/190lbs

Ok I would just stop doing that all together, youve now made it a habit and through reps its been reinforced as your technique. Just consciously think about how you are locking out, stand tall with the weight locked out and hold it there. Think about a farmers walk, or any kind of heavy hold. That weight is going to go right through you if you arent standing straight with the weight. Next time you dl just hold it at the top, dont lean back, its a very easy fix.

[quote]cparker wrote:
Ok I would just stop doing that all together, youve now made it a habit and through reps its been reinforced as your technique. Just consciously think about how you are locking out, stand tall with the weight locked out and hold it there. Think about a farmers walk, or any kind of heavy hold. That weight is going to go right through you if you arent standing straight with the weight. Next time you dl just hold it at the top, dont lean back, its a very easy fix. [/quote]
Thanks heaps ill look into it, other then the massive hyper is everything else on point?

[quote]A-Ren wrote:
https://www.T-Nation.com/training/tip-stop-leaning-back-on-the-deadlift[/quote]
Cheers A-Ren

I’d say focus on leg drive off the floor, deficit deadlifts would be a great accessory exercise to help you focus on pushing into the floor with the legs.

[quote]A-Ren wrote:
https://www.T-Nation.com/training/tip-stop-leaning-back-on-the-deadlift[/quote]
+2

Work on using your hips/glutes to lock out the weight.

[quote]IronOlly wrote:

[quote]cparker wrote:
Ok I would just stop doing that all together, youve now made it a habit and through reps its been reinforced as your technique. Just consciously think about how you are locking out, stand tall with the weight locked out and hold it there. Think about a farmers walk, or any kind of heavy hold. That weight is going to go right through you if you arent standing straight with the weight. Next time you dl just hold it at the top, dont lean back, its a very easy fix. [/quote]
Thanks heaps ill look into it, other then the massive hyper is everything else on point?[/quote]

personally I would ditch the touch n go reps for now, work on getting a tighter starting position. You could probably get your hips a little bit lower and your chest up more. Should be an easy fix as well, you’re a strong dude just make the right adjustments and youll see some bigger numbers.