Deadlift Form Check

Grip was kinda off but do help critique my form.

150kgs x1

155kgs x1 (failed)

after watching both videos side by side, at least I can say my form is somewhat consistent, though I would also argue that my form is what’s limiting me for the deadlift.

http://youtubedoubler.com/fKHv
A side by side comparison and a pretty cool side for those who be interested.

The bar rolls forward so move it slightly forward of where you normally place it.

How does your sumo look? It might be useful to focus on hip strength by getting your sumo up. That will carry over to conventional.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
The bar rolls forward so move it slightly forward of where you normally place it.

How does your sumo look? It might be useful to focus on hip strength by getting your sumo up. That will carry over to conventional. [/quote]

Haven’t been doing any sumo as of late. Do you think I should add them in?

[quote]Benanything wrote:

[quote]lift206 wrote:

How does your sumo look? It might be useful to focus on hip strength by getting your sumo up. That will carry over to conventional. [/quote]

Haven’t been doing any sumo as of late. Do you think I should add them in?[/quote]

I think it would be a good idea. Your back looks pretty strong and it looks like bringing up the glutes to push your hips forward would help.

I suck at conventional now but I’ll have to start doing them again to bring up some weaknesses.

Looks to me like your hams are your weak point. You’re breaking it off the floor with your quads (hips are low), and stalling just below the knee. That’s because your hams are to weak to hold the weight, so you can’t straighten your knee to let the bar pass.

The easiest way to fix DL issues is with accessory lifts. Program in some straight-legged Romanian Deads, making sure you focus on getting a good stretch and contraction in your hams. Your glutes should be contracting hard, too, but if they completely take over, end the set.

Other good accessory lifts for bringing them up are the Glute/Ham Raise and Good Morning, again focusing on the hams, not the weight itself.

Played around with some sumo pulls and pulled 130kgs followed by 150kgs for 2 singles. It looks pretty good and I dare say my ROM is pretty darn short. Any advices and such? I find me doing the grip and rip lets me lift more weight. Slowly setting up just makes the weight feel hella heavier for some reason.

It looks OK, but IMO looks more like a really wide stance convetional pull rather than a sumo pull. Sumo feels heavy at the start - I think that’s normal because of the leverages being pretty poor off the floor. For me, the key to sumo was learning patience and being comfortable with the bar feeling slow and heavy off the floor, because it accelerates VERY fast once you get around the knees. If you rush off the floor it might feel lighter but I almost guarantee you’ll get pulled out of position to the detriment of your lift. I know Dan Green is super aggressive with his sumo, but he is a monster and does what works best for him. If you watch Belyaev, he is very measured and patient off the floor but explodes into lockout.

Just from the video I’d say your knees drift too far forward (think having your knees directly above your ankles at all points) and your knees don’t seem pushed out enough - although from the angle that’s a little harder to tell. From my own experience with sumo those are two absolutely essential elements, because without them you can’t break off the floor so well using your glutes, hams and hips. After you’re more comfortable with sumo you can start to have your knees inside your ankles, but that takes a while.

Also, when I can see your feet is doesn’t look like your weight in on the outsides of the feet - I can’t pull sumo unless my feet are pushing out a huge amount, because the moment I push the outsides of my feet away from me my knees open right up and I get as much strength out of my glutes, hams and hips as I can. To break the floor just get into position, lock your shoulders behind the bar and push the floor apart. Be patient. The bar will slowly rise and then start accelerating.

It also looks like your shins are too far from the bar - again just from my experience with sumo you need to drag the bar up your shins. It isn’t like conventional where you don’t necessarily need to have the bar in direct contact with your shins. This is going to have made your life much harder. The moment the bar drifts away from your legs, everything becomes more difficult.

Lastly, I’d say you need to shift your shoulders way back behind the bar and keep them there all the way to lockout. This will pull the bar into your shins and really help you get the most out of sumo. You’ll know you got that position right when it feels like you’ll fall backwards if you let go of the bar - at loads below your bodyweight you’ll actually start falling back even when gripping the bar until you find the balance sweet spot. That position will also help keep your back arched, which I’ve found to be another essential element of sumo. I just need a neutral lower back for conventional with a tight upper back - for sumo my upper back is relaxed by my lower back is arched and kept arched.

In summary:

• bar on your shins
  • spread your knees and push the floor apart with the outsides of your feet
  • knees directly over your ankles
  • pull your shoulders behind the bar
  • relaxed upper back, tightly arched lower back

Don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be, deadlifting isn’t hard it just takes time and experience. Writing a book about the prime integers of deadlifting someone saw on the discovery channel isnt going to make up for just more time and reps. Your form looks good for now you just need to find the ideal starting positions for you

[quote]cparker wrote:
Don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be, deadlifting isn’t hard it just takes time and experience. Writing a book about the prime integers of deadlifting someone saw on the discovery channel isnt going to make up for just more time and reps. Your form looks good for now you just need to find the ideal starting positions for you[/quote]

I get what you mean but I reckon for sumo a more detailed approach can be beneficial. I absolutely agree conventional is about time and reps and not over complicating but when I started sumo pulling I didn’t have much success until I sat down and really looked at what I needed to do each rep.

Once I’d singled out the cues, it was just a matter of time and reps. But until I’d figured them out, I did need to go into a fair bit of detail.