Deadlift Form Check

Hi Guys,

Injured myself deadlifting a couple of months before, by slowely disregarding technique as i was chasing higher weight.

Re-injured myself when i started squatting again too soon.

Now i am trying to really really slowely progress back again, not go to heavy and fix my form.

Here’s the vid (lol@ failed blurring)

A couple of things i notice myself:

• Feet too much outward? I’m having a weird issue where my right foot is turned out more, also with squats, i think the cause lays somewhere at/in my hips.( Working on this)

• I Squat the weight up from the bottom? I try to freeze the vid at the moment i lift the weight of the floor and i’m not sure about this, the preload? i do makes it hard to see.

• Does my lower back look allright troughout the lift? This is what i injured and therefore is now my main fous point.

• Do i do something wrong on the way down? Sometimes i feel a sort of ( over) stretch in my lower back when i go down, maybe i dont keep the bar close enough?

• Maybe leaning too much forward at some point in the beginning of the lift?

Much appreciated if you guys could take a look and help me out.

A.

vid is set to private.

[quote]Claudan wrote:
vid is set to private.[/quote]

Thanks, i think i fixed it now

Your setup needs work. You start with your hips low and they shoot up the moment you start pulling. Also, control the eccentric a bit more, at least until you’re below the knees. Your feet look OK to me, you might want to turn them in but no biggie.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Your setup needs work. You start with your hips low and they shoot up the moment you start pulling. Also, control the eccentric a bit more, at least until you’re below the knees. Your feet look OK to me, you might want to turn them in but no biggie.[/quote]

Thanks for having a look,

At the moment i’m doing the hips shooting up on purpose. What should i be doing, start the pull of the floor with the hips lower?

And i’ll try controlling the eccentric more as you said, pergaps that is why i sometimes feel that weird (over) stretch of the lower back.

You should move the hips into the position where you start (so probably a bit higher than right now) so the movement starts with the shoulders AND the hips simultaneously moving. The way you do it right now, you scoot into the actual starting position (where you are when the bar leaves the floor), which makes you lose tightness.

And yes, that would help. Right know you seem to lose your tension on the way down and let the weight crash into the floor with a rounded back. If you ever suddenly try to slow down the movement the way you’re doing it, your spine will be in trouble. I’m not telling you to go super slow - just control the weight until it’s a few inches above the floor. I don’t see a problem with dropping it then.