T Nation

Deadlift Form Check

hey guys its me again, ive been working on my form and tried going for a 1 rep max yesterday. initially aimed for 160kg belted, but i was kinda surprised that i managed a 170kg (375lbs) at 62kg (137lbs) bodyweight, belted.

heres a video

im aiming for a 180kg by august in a full meet, how heavy do you think i need to be lifting in training to reach that goal?

and can anyone comment on my form? is there anything that needs some adjustments? thanks in advance!

bumppppp

Looks OK to me mate. I tend to sit back a bit lower than you but good lift.

That disc slipping ultra rearward lean at the lockout is cringe worthy. Simply having shoulders back relative to your chest at the locking out should be sufficient.

But, it looked heavy and you made it go up. Nice work. Anything I could say would be nit picky. I’d white light you all day on that.

Did you leave anyone else any plates?

Hey emskee, i’ll take note of the lockout, will try to reduce the rear lean next time. Thanks man! And hahaha, the bumper plates just made it look heavy, prob a warm up weight for a bunch of other people out here :confused:

I knew judges in the ADFPA who specifically looked for any downward movement of the bar after what we used to call the USPF lean, that big backward lean. And they would RED light.

Maybe judges are nicer now.

Anyway, nice pull.

[quote]emskee wrote:
I knew judges in the ADFPA who specifically looked for any downward movement of the bar after what we used to call the USPF lean, that big backward lean. And they would RED light.

Anyway, nice pull.[/quote]

Funny you mention that. We had a ref clinic last night at nationals and we specifically covered downward movement as a result of the bar settling at the top of the lift/lockout. Per ipf standards, it is not cause for disqualification and should not be confused with downward movement of the bar during the execution of the lift.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]emskee wrote:

Anyway, nice pull.[/quote]

Funny you mention that. We had a ref clinic last night at nationals and we specifically covered downward movement as a result of the bar settling at the top of the lift/lockout. Per ipf standards, it is not cause for disqualification and should not be confused with downward movement of the bar during the execution of the lift.[/quote]

Ah, sanity prevails.

This is good to see.

Thanks.

anyways guys, predicting from the bar speed, do you think i could hit a 180/190 in 5 weeks time? currently im prepping for a small meet on 10th may (which is around 5 weeks out) , but the most important meet will be the nationals in my country that will be held sometime in august.

That was about a 3 second pull. I think it was pretty heavy for you. You had some left there, how much, I dunno. You might have 10 kg in there.

You had a small break to your middle back as you began pulling the bar up your thigh. This spot could be a stall spot as you go heavier.

Anyway, I don’t want to predict but this looked near maximal. With 5 weeks out do you plan on continuing to grind 'em out or do you have another plan?

August looks more probable for 20 kg.

Awesome! From what i recall, Singapore’s deadlift record for the under 65kg weight class is 190kg? Hope you break it in August. Good luck!

[quote]emskee wrote:
That was about a 3 second pull. I think it was pretty heavy for you. You had some left there, how much, I dunno. You might have 10 kg in there.

You had a small break to your middle back as you began pulling the bar up your thigh. This spot could be a stall spot as you go heavier.

Anyway, I don’t want to predict but this looked near maximal. With 5 weeks out do you plan on continuing to grind 'em out or do you have another plan?

August looks more probable for 20 kg.

[/quote]

currently im having my deload week (5th week out). im running 3/5/1 to peak for my meet, so i plan to hit triples or doubles with the same weight above next week (4th week out), volume work on the next (3rd week out), and singles again with a higher weight on the third week( 2nd week out). then one week off the meet will be another deload week for me. not sure if its optimal, but i’m open to suggestions if any!

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Awesome! From what i recall, Singapore’s deadlift record for the under 65kg weight class is 190kg? Hope you break it in August. Good luck!
[/quote]

the record stands at 195kg for the u59kg weight class. but i dont think im up for it yet lol, this yr there are ppl hitting 205kg deadlifts at <60kg bw, so yeah, gonna just compete against myself lol.