T Nation

Deadlift Form Check

Can you tell me how my form looks on this?

I seem to feel a slight soreness (not pain) in my lower back, more than anywhere else such as legs etc.

Thanks.

You’re essentially performing deficit deadlifts, because you aren’t using full sized plates. Because of this, your lower back is starting out rounded. You want your lower back to be flat from the start. This could be causing a problem. You could either get your hips lower to start, or buy some real plates.

Also, if you ever use weights heavier than this, it would be useful to make a video of that as well. It’s much more important to assess what you’re doing with an actual training weight, rather than what appears to be a warm-up weight. You’re probably not hurting yourself warming up…

Thanks for the reply.

You are right, these are 15kg plates but I thought they were only slightly smaller than the 20kg/45lb. They are the next thing on my purchase list as my lifts increase. Next month I can hopefully get them.

This is a warmup weight but I have also been using my work sets (only upto 80kg at the moment) with these plates so this is probably the issue.

Could I perhaps put them on some sort of risen platform until I get other plates? Would this work?

Thanks.

yep, that totally works

Dude…

You already know about the lower back rounding; fix that. What’s more: Do not rip the bar off the floor. A deadlift is about tension. Go down, maintain tension in your body and then slowly lift it up while staying tight. If you keep your back rounding + try to lift explosively you will probably blow out your back before long.

nighthawkz, I couldn’t disagree more.
Not ripping the bar off the floor is a preference, not an absolute. Ever hear the term ‘grip and rip’? It’s used for a reason, and happens to be how I deadlift. My deadlift is at 500 lbs, and I’ve never had a deadlifting-related injury. I understand the philosophy of pulling the slack out of the bar before exerting maximal effort, but there is no slack below about 350 lbs or so, depending on the bar.

That’s certainly nothing the OP needs to be concerned about for a loooong time. And even then it’s not really necessary. I didn’t get decent at deadlifting until I really learned how to explode from the bottom. Fixing the rounding of his lower back will pretty much be all he needs to do for now, unless he has other technical issues that show up with heavier weights (without a better video this is impossible to predict).

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Not ripping the bar off the floor is a preference, not an absolute. Ever hear the term ‘grip and rip’? It’s used for a reason, and happens to be how I deadlift. My deadlift is at 500 lbs, and I’ve never had a deadlifting-related injury. I understand the philosophy of pulling the slack out of the bar before exerting maximal effort, but there is no slack below about 350 lbs or so, depending on the bar.

That’s certainly nothing the OP needs to be concerned about for a loooong time. And even then it’s not really necessary. I didn’t get decent at deadlifting until I really learned how to explode from the bottom. Fixing the rounding of his lower back will pretty much be all he needs to do for now, unless he has other technical issues that show up with heavier weights (without a better video this is impossible to predict).[/quote]

While I’m not trying to dispute your facts/opinions, but it might be beneficial for a complete beginner not to do any hasty movements at all, in order to get the setup correct.

I mean how many people setup, and then let their ass just shoot up or let their back round because they are rippin-n-grippin? Probably a lot, when it pertains to beginners, specifically.

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

That’s certainly nothing the OP needs to be concerned about for a loooong time. And even then it’s not really necessary. I didn’t get decent at deadlifting until I really learned how to explode from the bottom. Fixing the rounding of his lower back will pretty much be all he needs to do for now, unless he has other technical issues that show up with heavier weights (without a better video this is impossible to predict).[/quote]

While I’m not trying to dispute your facts/opinions, but it might be beneficial for a complete beginner not to do any hasty movements at all, in order to get the setup correct.

I mean how many people setup, and then let their ass just shoot up or let their back round because they are rippin-n-grippin? Probably a lot, when it pertains to beginners, specifically.
[/quote]

I’m pretty sure I said the rounded lower back was a problem, and that he needs a flat back. I’ll clarify though. The flat back takes priority over speed. That has to happen.

That being said, teaching people to lift aggressively as beginners is important. So many beginners focus on slow contractions, and on most lifts, this is wrong.

For me, my deadlift form is compromised when I don’t try to rip the bar up. If I lift the way Night suggested, I’m significantly more likely to get my hips out of position. The quicker I can break the bar off the floor, the better. I stay more upright this way. I’m faster than I am strong, and I have to use this to my advantage. My initial burst determines whether I complete the lift or not 99% of the time. Not everyone is the same, so to each his own. I simply wanted to point out that there is more than one way to approach the deadlift.

WUT