T Nation

Deadlift Form Check

Hello T-Nation.

I decided to film some of my sets, doing deadlift. Any input would be appreciated.

Shoulders are a bit forward of the bar when you get heavy its gonna pull you over and either your going to miss it at the lockout or have to some what hitch to get back in position. Other than that didn’t look bad really hips are a bit high but, if it feels good go for it. What percentage of your max is this weight. it appears its a very manageable weight for you which is a good thing but it is not going to show where your true weaknesses are.

Never thought about the shoulders, thanks for pointing it out. So i should focus on keeping my shoulders more backwards?

Haven`t had a problem with the hips being high, tho sometimes i pay more attention to it, this time i did not.

I am guessing around 75 or 80% perhaps. The reason i am guessing is because i don`t have enough weights to test lol. Only have 20 more kgs, i can toss on all the weights i have on my next dl session and film it.

Yeah you wanna try and have them directly over the bar or just behind that way when you begin the pick your center of gravity will be easier to press through your heels and not get pulled forward onto your toes. Just think about that and actively pull the bar into your shins and up your thighs the closer the bar is to you the easier it is to finish the lockout with strong hips at the top which will minimize any chance of hitching.

Hahaha I understand about the weights I ran into that a while back sounds like its time to expand your equipment.

Thanks, im gonna focus on my shoulder positioning from now on. The bar is always being dragged as close to my feet as i can. front of my calves are freaking bruised lol.

Gonna invest in some new 20kgs plates, can`t be that expensive :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]MCtitflyes wrote:
The bar is always being dragged as close to my feet as i can. front of my calves are freaking bruised lol.
[/quote]

I assume you meant shins? If so, that’s a good thing because it means you’re keeping the bar close to your body. If you don’t like the bruises/scrapes, investing in some long socks (soccer or baseball socks should do) will help.

[quote]MCtitflyes wrote:
Thanks, im gonna focus on my shoulder positioning from now on. The bar is always being dragged as close to my feet as i can. front of my calves are freaking bruised lol.

Gonna invest in some new 20kgs plates, can`t be that expensive :p[/quote]

Just get on Craigslist man I don’t know where your at but here I can pick up a whole 255lbs plus a shitty bar for $100

[quote]MCtitflyes wrote:
Never thought about the shoulders, thanks for pointing it out. So i should focus on keeping my shoulders more backwards?

Haven`t had a problem with the hips being high, tho sometimes i pay more attention to it, this time i did not.

I am guessing around 75 or 80% perhaps. The reason i am guessing is because i don`t have enough weights to test lol. Only have 20 more kgs, i can toss on all the weights i have on my next dl session and film it.

Reed is right about the shoulders and hips. Keep in mind everything is connected, so you may not be able to get your shoulders behind the bar without lowering your hips. No matter what other cues you follow (chest up shoulder blades down etc), your shoulder may end up in front of the bar unless you lower your hips

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]MCtitflyes wrote:

Gonna invest in some new 20kgs plates, can`t be that expensive :p[/quote]

Just get on Craigslist man I don’t know where your at but here I can pick up a whole 255lbs plus a shitty bar for $100[/quote]

His profile says Norway. Not exactly densely populated, so finding something specific second hand in your neighbourhood will probably be tricky. Still, worth a shot.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

[quote]MCtitflyes wrote:
The bar is always being dragged as close to my feet as i can. front of my calves are freaking bruised lol.
[/quote]

I assume you meant shins? If so, that’s a good thing because it means you’re keeping the bar close to your body. If you don’t like the bruises/scrapes, investing in some long socks (soccer or baseball socks should do) will help.[/quote]

Aaah yes, i meant shins lol. front of my calves…awkward lol.

Thank you all for some good advice. I am gonna focus on what i have been told here and post new video later and see if i have improved.

We actually have craigslist in norway, but no one uses it as far as i can see. things are expensive over here aswell. I am going to save up and just buy some new equipment.