Deadlift Form Check

hey man, really nice pulls, there’s not a whole lot I would change at all.

Your last rep was pretty slow, but that was the best setup. The first few, you got into a good position but then looked like the bar wanted to drift away from you and your ass wanted to raise. Although you kept it in check, I would bet on a max, that is what would happen. So just make sure you don’t do that and you’re good.

[quote]LittleThuggie wrote:
Your last rep was pretty slow, but that was the best setup. The first few, you got into a good position but then looked like the bar wanted to drift away from you and your ass wanted to raise. Although you kept it in check, I would bet on a max, that is what would happen. So just make sure you don’t do that and you’re good.[/quote]
completely agree, the last one looked good, i like where my head was positioned as well at lockout.

And ya i noticed when i began the pull on the first few, my butt goes up ever so slightly, bar drifts a tad, then everything fires correctly.

I need to get faster off the floor. I feel i can lock anything out, its the bottom i need to be patient with.

Tons and tons of hip drive. I like to really cinch up my hips until they feel like they’re gonna pop. Grind your feet outward into the floor, and really squeeze your ass. I used to like doing really wide squats below parallel for reps, super wide deadlifts for reps, stuff like that. Also liked really wide arched-back good mornings and RDLs. Looked good though. Just stick with it. Better than 90% of people.

Tons and tons of hip drive. I like to really cinch up my hips until they feel like they’re gonna pop. Grind your feet outward into the floor, and really squeeze your ass. I used to like doing really wide squats below parallel for reps, super wide deadlifts for reps, stuff like that. Also liked really wide arched-back good mornings and RDLs. Looked good though. Just stick with it. Better than 90% of people. [/quote]

And I forgot my favorite - low, really wide box squats with a pause on the box. It’s basically you’re pulling position.

Tons and tons of hip drive. I like to really cinch up my hips until they feel like they’re gonna pop. Grind your feet outward into the floor, and really squeeze your ass. I used to like doing really wide squats below parallel for reps, super wide deadlifts for reps, stuff like that. Also liked really wide arched-back good mornings and RDLs. Looked good though. Just stick with it. Better than 90% of people. [/quote]
Thanks man, ive been at lifting for only 8 months now, went from a 135 to 325x5 DL in that time. Should have 405 in a couple months!!!

Im also 6’1, and the stance im in is a modified sumo. Over these few months ive learned that im slow off the floor, so ideally i would like to pull conventional since its fastest off the floor. Problem is ive studied my mechanics and i cant get my back at a strong angle conventional. So i take my feet to the point where my back is now at a nice angle to finish.

I turn my feet more forward which somewhat restricts the hips (hence why my hips sink back as if it were conventional, instead of typical feet out sumo where you sink down), but i can get the bar going much faster here.

[quote]mg3 wrote:

Thanks man, ive been at lifting for only 8 months now, went from a 135 to 325x5 DL in that time. Should have 405 in a couple months!!!

Im also 6’1, and the stance im in is a modified sumo. Over these few months ive learned that im slow off the floor, so ideally i would like to pull conventional since its fastest off the floor. Problem is ive studied my mechanics and i cant get my back at a strong angle conventional. So i take my feet to the point where my back is now at a nice angle to finish.

I turn my feet more forward which somewhat restricts the hips (hence why my hips sink back as if it were conventional, instead of typical feet out sumo where you sink down), but i can get the bar going much faster here. [/quote]

Do whatever works best. My brother is 6’1" and when I trained with him, his conventional SUCKED. I moved him out to sumo and he has a really good deadlift now. Just leverages. It takes getting used to, but I really like the toes-out sumo. It really gets your knees outta the way and also lets you really sink down into position. It also really lets you rare back. Try some assistance work with the feet out (45 degrees or so) for a few weeks and see how it goes. I’d also do a lot of assistance work with a conventional stance. It’s a weakness, but if you really hammer it, it will carryover to sumo. I’d split my assistance work between close-stance, sumo, super wide, toes forward, toes out, heels raised, toes raised, all kinds of stuff. I think if you suck at something, you should do it more. So find where you’re weak and hammer it.