T Nation

Deadlift Form Check


me lifting 405 for 4 reps, how do you think my form is? first time I did this weight in several years

[quote]BruteWithGlutes wrote:


me lifting 405 for 4 reps, how do you think my form is? first time I did this weight in several years[/quote]

Im not sure if its just me but the video is not showing up

I can see it

I’m seeing white box too… I think uploading the video to youtube and copying the link into this thread will work.

Hmm let’s see

Your form looked good.

If you intend to compete ditch the straps and develop your grip.

If you don’t intend to compete ditch the straps because you’ll develop a better handshake.

Ain’t deadlifts a lower back exercise?

I used to be diehard about double overhand with no straps, especially for the grip work but I definitely changed my view on it.

Just the other day when this video was shot, the set before the 405x4 was a 360x3, I tried double overhand on it and the bar slipped from my hands on the way down of the third rep, do you think I would’ve managed a 405x4 with no straps?

From there I can tell that with straps my deadlifts number are gonna go up for a while before I even start stalling, thanks to the straps. If it wasn’t for the straps I would probably be stuck deadlifting 225 still.

Besides, everybody knows we don’t handshake anymore, we fist bump.

And plus, correct me if I’m wrong… My grip is still going to get worked with or without straps.

Someone who lifts hardly 135 isn’t going to add a plate to the bar just because he added straps on, straps are just an addition to keep the bar in my handsm like chalk. I’m pretty sure my grip is getting worked on my sets with straps because if ever I was to lockout at the top and just let the bar go, the bar wouldn’t stay attached to my hands cause of the straps… I still have to hold the weight with or without straps.

That’s my reasoning without any studies or such, am I retarded? I don’t know, what I can tell though is that my goal is to lift the maximum amount of weight, if I want more grip strength I’ll add grip exercises later

I’m just going by the initial pull; I don’t care about reps after that because the form always changes drastically.

  • chest up more
  • bring your shoulders back slightly until they are directly over the bar; not out in front

[quote]BruteWithGlutes wrote:
And plus, correct me if I’m wrong… My grip is still going to get worked with or without straps.

Someone who lifts hardly 135 isn’t going to add a plate to the bar just because he added straps on, straps are just an addition to keep the bar in my handsm like chalk. I’m pretty sure my grip is getting worked on my sets with straps because if ever I was to lockout at the top and just let the bar go, the bar wouldn’t stay attached to my hands cause of the straps… I still have to hold the weight with or without straps.

That’s my reasoning without any studies or such, am I retarded? I don’t know, what I can tell though is that my goal is to lift the maximum amount of weight, if I want more grip strength I’ll add grip exercises later[/quote]

Quit making excuses and get rid of the straps. If the weight is too heavy to hold with a double overhand grip then learn to use a hook grip or an alternating grip. Either way, straps=gayness.

[quote]BruteWithGlutes wrote:
And plus, correct me if I’m wrong… My grip is still going to get worked with or without straps.

Someone who lifts hardly 135 isn’t going to add a plate to the bar just because he added straps on, straps are just an addition to keep the bar in my handsm like chalk. I’m pretty sure my grip is getting worked on my sets with straps because if ever I was to lockout at the top and just let the bar go, the bar wouldn’t stay attached to my hands cause of the straps… I still have to hold the weight with or without straps.

That’s my reasoning without any studies or such, am I retarded? I don’t know, what I can tell though is that my goal is to lift the maximum amount of weight, if I want more grip strength I’ll add grip exercises later[/quote]

Quit making excuses and get rid of the straps. If the weight is too heavy to hold with a double overhand grip then learn to use a hook grip or an alternating grip. Either way, straps=gayness.

[quote]HARA wrote:
Your form looked good.

If you intend to compete ditch the straps and develop your grip.

If you don’t intend to compete ditch the straps because you’ll develop a better handshake.[/quote]

I disagree. I compete and I only train in straps. The only time I pull without straps is in competition.

I think the deadlift is a shitty grip developing exercise. I definitely agree on the statement of “develop your grip”, but not by ditching the straps. Keep the straps and train your grip as well. I got some Captains of Crush grippers and worked up to reps with the 2.5 and timed holds with the 2.

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:

[quote]BruteWithGlutes wrote:
And plus, correct me if I’m wrong… My grip is still going to get worked with or without straps.

Someone who lifts hardly 135 isn’t going to add a plate to the bar just because he added straps on, straps are just an addition to keep the bar in my handsm like chalk. I’m pretty sure my grip is getting worked on my sets with straps because if ever I was to lockout at the top and just let the bar go, the bar wouldn’t stay attached to my hands cause of the straps… I still have to hold the weight with or without straps.

That’s my reasoning without any studies or such, am I retarded? I don’t know, what I can tell though is that my goal is to lift the maximum amount of weight, if I want more grip strength I’ll add grip exercises later[/quote]

Quit making excuses and get rid of the straps. If the weight is too heavy to hold with a double overhand grip then learn to use a hook grip or an alternating grip. Either way, straps=gayness.[/quote]

Just stop.

[quote]LittleThuggie wrote:
I’m just going by the initial pull; I don’t care about reps after that because the form always changes drastically.

  • chest up more
  • bring your shoulders back slightly until they are directly over the bar; not out in front[/quote]

Not sure if I get the shoulders part correctly.

At which part of the lift? I’m guessing you mean before I even pull it?

[quote]BruteWithGlutes wrote:

[quote]LittleThuggie wrote:
I’m just going by the initial pull; I don’t care about reps after that because the form always changes drastically.

  • chest up more
  • bring your shoulders back slightly until they are directly over the bar; not out in front[/quote]

Not sure if I get the shoulders part correctly.

At which part of the lift? I’m guessing you mean before I even pull it?[/quote]

Yeah, when you’re setting up, if you were to look at it from the side, you want your shoulder directly over your hand in a line plumb with the ground. In the video, before you even begin the pull, your shoulder is a little out in front of the bar. Looks like you’re putting the weight on the balls of your feet and not your heels. Sit back more until your shoulder is in line, then pull. Try arching your back more and sticking your chest out. That should also help toward getting you in the right position.