T Nation

Deadlift Form Check

Hey guys, i’m new to TNation and I must say I enjoy the website. I’ve been lifting for awhile on machines but recently got a power rack and bench, so things are starting to get serious. Obviously, squats and deadlifts are the 2 things i’m very dedicated to but i’m worried about my form. I’m trying to sit into them more to give me more leverage and take pressure off of my back but I need help.

Take a look and give me some tips,
Thanks!

Ur sitting way to low,

Ur kinda moving backwards just before u lift, and then ur shoulders raise a little as well, check 15-17 seconds.

Keep your lower back arched, pull the tension out of your arms,and retract your shoulder blades.

Also on the way down u seem to push the bar forward then u bring it closer to legs again like an arch,

Most injuries happen on the eccentric part of a dead lift, the idea is to get the bar back to the ground as fast and as safe possible.

Thanks buddy, I appreciate the feedback. I check youtube and so many of these videos say different things, I think I need to get a personal trainer over here just to coach me. I know the repercussions of a bad deadlift and i’d rather shell out some money on a PT than a chiropractor :slight_smile:

this may help…

you are squatting the weight up. start by watching every great deadlifter (conventional) on youtube.

[quote]COMEONDIESEL wrote:

This guy knows his shit. Deadlifts are HIP DOMINANT. Think about driving the living shit out of your heels into the ground and ‘FUCKING’ the bar (srs). Try and incorporate a regular stretching routine somewhere for your hip flexors.

Other points. Keep the bar close to your body as you pull. Feet roughly hip-width apart. Your arms are merely hooks; never let them become slack at any point in the movement (hello bicep tear). Good lower back arch.

Personally strongly disagree with retracting your shoulder blades as somebody else said. Not only does this severely limit the amount of weight you can pull, but for me it feels like the lower back is called upon to take on alot more load to make up for weak positioning where the lats and traps can’t do their job properly.

Oh, and please, please, please avoid high reps with deads. 5-6 at the MAXIMUM. Focus on quality reps and weight progression. Form subconsciously goes to shit as fatigue sets in, and believe me, this movement isn’t exactly forgiving for slacking of form with heavy loads.

I love the responses, Marzouk that was a great read. I actually ordered a hex bar a week ago, so definitely i’ll be doing the trap bar deadlift with my squats but the Sumo deadlift actually sounds like it would be better for me. I am looking for something to work my back but have less chance of injury, Sumo sounds slightly safer but not nearly as wimpy as the trap bar :slight_smile:

[quote]jamesovercome wrote:
I love the responses, Marzouk that was a great read. I actually ordered a hex bar a week ago, so definitely i’ll be doing the trap bar deadlift with my squats but the Sumo deadlift actually sounds like it would be better for me. I am looking for something to work my back but have less chance of injury, Sumo sounds slightly safer but not nearly as wimpy as the trap bar :-)[/quote]

As soon a pick up a bar or a dumb bell you are risking injury, not doing an exercise because your scared of being inured mean you’ll never do anything.

Do not cut out conventional dead lifts because you are scared of getting hurt. If you do it right you are unlikely to get hurt.