T Nation

Deadlift Form Check

i just needed a form check of my deadlift. Its the 6 month mark of training and have gone from 135x5 barley to a 265x5 easy

ok this is the right one! i hate my computer…

Keep your back tight on the way down and bend your knees. You round a lot on the way back down, like a lot dude.

either drop it form the top and irritate everyone in the gym, or stay tight on the way down.

Pulling with your back that round on the latter reps is just asking for a back injury. OK if you’re a powerlifter going for a PR, not OK as a rookie. If there’s one thing you should focus on fixing right now, it’s that.

Keep your back tight the whole way through up and down, I would also suggest getting your ass down more and your shoulders back further before you pull.

you’re initiating the pull with your lower back, you need to lighten the load and focus on using your legs to pop of the floor while keeping a strong neutral spine position. Here’s a good video that teaches dl form:

I suggest that you lighten the load and use volume to progress while still recording yourself to make sure you’re performing the lift safely and efficiently, then slowly build back up the weight while keeping your form in check. It doesn’t have to be perfect all the time but it should be as close as possible.

The weight should be going through your hips, not your lower back. Watch how this very accomplished lifter drives through his hips keeping his back arched and hips low:

hope this helps

I would suggest learning to pull sumo :slight_smile: Properly. You’ve taken the first right step by video-ing yourself…next is to work on lifting with a neutral spine. Reduce weight, practice breathing into your belly and maintaining a tighter lower back, repeat, profit.

^^^^^ any particular reason for sumo?

btw thanks guys

Good job filiming, and I like the background music!

Like the other dudes said, your back rounds WAY too much for safety. What always helps me is visualizing the lift. Meaning that I get the weights set up, do all that jazz, and then sit there for a second and see the lift. I then walk over to the bar, set up my feet, attach my straps, then lift. And when I lift, I think about DRIVING my feet through the floor, not lifting the weight. This simple visualization will make a world of difference, trust me.

Also, I’d recommend getting some wrist straps. They take the pressure off your grip and let you focus on using your back/legs more.

As far as Hungry4More’s recommendation, sumo DL’s are awesome. For starters, people can usually lift a bit more with sumo variations. Also, it’s just more natural feeling for some. Also, it’s more of a hip exercise. In fact, I feel conventional DL’s in my back, so I’ve moved DLs to back day. If I wanted to do a DL variation on leg day, I’d do sumo or even trap bar. Basically sumo DL’s are just another way of doing the movement.

Just focus on crushing your feet through the floor man! Good work though.

Oh and Trav, holy shit at that 700 lb raw DL! NO STRAPS! I wouldn’t want to shake that dude’s hand.

Oh, and also go barefoot when you’re DLing (just socks, you don’t want athlete’s foot!)

Good work man, but I would suggest to watch the video’s trav posted and heed hungry4more’s advice.

On a side note, if your goal is powerlifting and you want to compete one day I would NOT use straps. And on the topic of footwear, either get a pair of converse all stars or go sock foot.

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
Oh, and also go barefoot when you’re DLing (just socks, you don’t want athlete’s foot!)[/quote]

actually u cant tell, but im actually in my socks

Yeah, PCB is right. If your goal is PLing, then grip is very important. Just keep it up, DL is the king of exercises in my opinion.

I prefer sumo mainly because it doesn’t take as much a toll on my lower back…with conventional deads, when you get to heavy weights, it’s extremely difficult not to round your lower back…sumo deadlifts, if you’re built for them, strain the hips more, and lower back less. Not to mention I can pull significantly more weight sumo style. But that will vary from person to person.