T Nation

Deadlift form Check

the first part of the vid i think i had pretty good form…the second part i bumped up the weight and to me it looks like im bending to far forward…all feedback is welcome…

You actually have pretty good form. Better then mine when I started. All I can say is don’t worry about lowering it so slowly when pushing heavier weights. You could strain your back real easy if you don’t do it correctly. Example of how I like to lower the weight when going heavy now.

are u sliding it down your knees? if anything i would say not to hyper extend your neck so much

Do your shins look like hamburger? DL’ing in shorts is not for the weak or heart.

My gym is not a fan of bleeding on their bars

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
You actually have pretty good form. Better then mine when I started. All I can say is don’t worry about lowering it so slowly when pushing heavier weights. You could strain your back real easy if you don’t do it correctly. Example of how I like to lower the weight when going heavy now.

[/quote]

CRAP!!! that was AWESOME! i love how you threw the weight down at the end haha…im sorta worried about cracking the concrete if i drop the weights…ill try throwing more carpets down though…thanks for that vid…inspiring! i watched a couple of your other ones too…your db rowing 250x15 makes me scared!

and was that your garage??? what do you have there? my friend/neighbor and i put together a pretty good setup at my place…now i just gotta put in my time!

[quote]xivb4m wrote:
are u sliding it down your knees? if anything i would say not to hyper extend your neck so much[/quote]

when i lower it, it doesnt really slide down my shins, but when i lift it it does sometimes…not all the time though…must mean my form isnt the same every time huh…i never thought my neck and what its doing during a dl…

So i should keep it more in line with my back…i do that because when i squat i keep my head up and i guess it just carried over to dls. but ill try that…

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
Do your shins look like hamburger? DL’ing in shorts is not for the weak or heart.

My gym is not a fan of bleeding on their bars [/quote]

no blood here yet…i just get red shins and scrapes…

Looks fairly good. xivb4m’s right about hyper extending your neck, try to stop that.

There are a few things I notice.

Before you start to lower the weight, allow the hips (ass) to drift back to put the hamstrings on stretch. The bar should move back slightly before you start to flex your hips and lower the weight.

Try to decrease the angle of hip flexion at the start - imagine you are positioned slightly more vertical - this will cause the bar to travel closer to your legs and probably chew them up a little but you will be able to lift more weight.

As you start to pull the bar off the floor, the bar should move bar towards your legs slightly before it really starts to move upward. This happens because you are driving through your heals. If it doesn’t come back, there’s a very good chance that the force is being applied through the entire foot.

As you fatigue and when you lift heavier, your hips lift faster than your shoulders. This increases the amount of hip flexion and directs a lot more force to the lower back. The angle of hip flexion should remain constant until the bar passes your knees.

All in all your form is very good. Well done!

[quote]vlandsponger wrote:
countingbeans wrote:

no blood here yet…i just get red shins and scrapes…[/quote]

You should not actually be scraping your shins. Check out “the shin scraper” http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/mastering_the_deadlift_part_ii&cr=

Overall form looks pretty decent though.

xivb4m wrote:
are u sliding it down your knees? if anything i would say not to hyper extend your neck so much

when i lower it, it doesnt really slide down my shins, but when i lift it it does sometimes…not all the time though…must mean my form isnt the same every time huh…i never thought my neck and what its doing during a dl…

So i should keep it more in line with my back…i do that because when i squat i keep my head up and i guess it just carried over to dls. but ill try that…[/quote]

Try to keep your neck in line with the back angle in both the squat and deadlift. In the squat, look at the floor in front of you instead of the ceiling. Looking up messes with the hip drive component of the lift. As for your form, it looks good. I agree with everybody that mentioned to keep the bar in contact with your body the whole way up.

If you were lifting heavy you would not be able to help it anyways due to the lever arm it creates. Throw another plate on there and get to work! PS. Everyone scrapes a few hairs on deadlift day. Hell, I usually scrape a few on power clean days too. Keep it up! Once you get a groove for the lift (by practice), all this will be habit.

countingbeans wrote:

no blood here yet…i just get red shins and scrapes…[/quote]

It will come.

I been wearing pants, and long socks, because I’m a pussy.

Carlitosway wrote:

CRAP!!! that was AWESOME! i love how you threw the weight down at the end haha…im sorta worried about cracking the concrete if i drop the weights…ill try throwing more carpets down though…thanks for that vid…inspiring! i watched a couple of your other ones too…your db rowing 250x15 makes me scared!

and was that your garage??? what do you have there? my friend/neighbor and i put together a pretty good setup at my place…now i just gotta put in my time![/quote]

LOL I wish that was me, but yeah that’s Matt Kroc. Elite powerlifter with over 20 years of lifting under his belt. Sorry I made it come off like that was me. Just one of my many role models, I thought I’d introduce to you.

[quote]905Patrick wrote:
Looks fairly good. xivb4m’s right about hyper extending your neck, try to stop that.

There are a few things I notice.

Before you start to lower the weight, allow the hips (ass) to drift back to put the hamstrings on stretch. The bar should move back slightly before you start to flex your hips and lower the weight.

Try to decrease the angle of hip flexion at the start - imagine you are positioned slightly more vertical - this will cause the bar to travel closer to your legs and probably chew them up a little but you will be able to lift more weight.

As you start to pull the bar off the floor, the bar should move bar towards your legs slightly before it really starts to move upward. This happens because you are driving through your heals. If it doesn’t come back, there’s a very good chance that the force is being applied through the entire foot.

As you fatigue and when you lift heavier, your hips lift faster than your shoulders. This increases the amount of hip flexion and directs a lot more force to the lower back. The angle of hip flexion should remain constant until the bar passes your knees.

All in all your form is very good. Well done![/quote]

thanks! ill work on that stuff…especially the heels part and hip angle so i can lift more!! haha

[quote]elano wrote:
vlandsponger wrote:
xivb4m wrote:

So i should keep it more in line with my back…i do that because when i squat i keep my head up and i guess it just carried over to dls. but ill try that…

Try to keep your neck in line with the back angle in both the squat and deadlift. In the squat, look at the floor in front of you instead of the ceiling.

Looking up messes with the hip drive component of the lift. As for your form, it looks good. I agree with everybody that mentioned to keep the bar in contact with your body the whole way up.

If you were lifting heavy you would not be able to help it anyways due to the lever arm it creates. Throw another plate on there and get to work!

PS. Everyone scrapes a few hairs on deadlift day. Hell, I usually scrape a few on power clean days too. Keep it up! Once you get a groove for the lift (by practice), all this will be habit.[/quote]

head up and bar touching! gotcha…thanks

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
vlandsponger wrote:
countingbeans wrote:

no blood here yet…i just get red shins and scrapes…

It will come.

I been wearing pants, and long socks, because I’m a pussy. [/quote]

just a thought…what about soccer shin guards??? hahaha…

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
vlandsponger wrote:
Carlitosway wrote:

and was that your garage??? what do you have there? my friend/neighbor and i put together a pretty good setup at my place…now i just gotta put in my time!

LOL I wish that was me, but yeah that’s Matt Kroc. Elite powerlifter with over 20 years of lifting under his belt. Sorry I made it come off like that was me. Just one of my many role models, I thought I’d introduce to you.

[/quote]

thats definitely a role model!!! haha…if i could just picture that video everytime i deadlift!! anymore video links u could post?

Another question about deadlifts…

I really enjoy deadlifts…and IF i could i would do them every single day…of course thats not the right thing to do…so I wanted to see what you guys thought about how frequent someone could do deadlifts without being counterproductive…I understand the CNS would be overwhelmed if I do them to often and of course muscle repair needs to occur but i really want to do these as much as possible…maybe i could alternate the different variations of deads…normal deadlifts, snatch grip, rack pulls, heavy and light days…just alternate those…every other day? every 3 days? once a week? what do you guys think and what have you guys experienced…

More than once a week would require some freakish recovery ability.

[quote]MC sp3 wrote:
More than once a week would require some freakish recovery ability. [/quote]

yeh thats what i didn’t want to hear…or read…i went and read online after i posted this…DAMN! hah

like the others have said,…keep the bar close…your form is pretty good here, but because you bring your butt up high, it can become a problem with heavy weight…think about pulling back, not up, with a quick transfer of weight from your toes to heels

some great pullers are able to bring the butt up high, but can keep their back like a piece of wood