Deadlift Form Analysis

[quote]Now the interesting point here is, that almost always, when the weights are heavier than 100kg, I switch to a mixed grip and it’s exactly at this point, where I feel like my form isn’t so strict anymore and that I lose tension!
Now, am I just driving myself crazy with all this form check stuff or might this be something to consider?
I already learned a lot since I started this thread, thanks to all of you who keep answering! Video-Selfies help a lot![/quote]

Absolutely I think you may be driving yourself crazy with all the form checking. Your technique is fine to work with. The heavier you go, the more technique will deteriorate. I think a good measure of technical competency is the ability to maintain as good technique as possible at maximal weights. The key is ‘as good as possible’, because at maximal weights your technique is ALWAYS going to be less than your best. As long as you don’t get hurt, you’re cheering. THe stronger you get, the longer you’ll be able to maintain better technique. TO get stronger, you need to load the bar. Kind of a catch 22, but as long as you’re sensible you’ll be fine.

As to the mixed grip, I initially found something similar. For me the key was to get my air and get tight (lats included) when standing at the bar and only when I had set my tension dropping to grip and pull. That way no matter how I grip the bar, I’m tight as I can be when I start the pull. I think I can still see your weightlifting training coming through in how you address the bar and get set: you get your grip and starting position set up quite slowly, so I’m guessing you get tight down at the bar. I’d suggest getting big air, squeezing your lats and bracing when standing at the bar, and then dropping, gripping and pulling without spending much time in between gripping and pulling.

so many great and useful advice!
Since I tried focusing on lat tightness, I felt really strong on all my pulls, specially during olympic lifting I feel like it made a really big difference! And I was super sore in my upper back and glutes after tuesdays oly session, something I didn’t ever feel before :slight_smile:

@sprogg

[quote]i’d disagree with your last statement. from what i can see you have short to average length arms and quite long femurs which means when you start with high hips the lever arm gets really long which then highlights the weaknesses above. in the second set of videos you posted your legs are almost straight before the bar even passes the knees, i.e. before you’ve even begun to extend the hips.

also in a number of your lifts your toes come right off the ground at various points. i think you need to lower the hips just a fraction, which will in turn push your shins forwards and move the bar more over your mid foot.[/quote]

thanks for pointing out the lever arm thing! I will try starting with a lower hip positioning and lift with some more leg drive.

@MarkKO
You’re right, I’m just a technique nazi xD.

Gonna hit my deadlift session today instead of saturday because of slight change in my weekly schedule I can’t do anything against. I’ll film it again and post it anyway, just so that I can see some progression. I’ll try to lift up to 120kg again during my 5x3, maybe not straight, depending how I feel but going for a heavier total than before.

(I just dreamed about lifting 4 plates on each side last night, seems like it really means a lot to me haha)

Just a short update:

I did lift 5x3 with 120kg, and it didn’t feel that heavy. Lifted with a hookgrip in all sets, felt great! I felt not super tight during the first rep but tension was there for the 2nd and 3rd rep. I need to work on creating and maintaining tension right from the beginning.
And I decided not to film, because I just wanted to lift that shit up and not think too much about it, worked perfectly :-).
Now I was quite sore the last two days, pretty much everywhere, not only in the lower back so I take it as good sign.
I will just try to up the weight by 2.5kg every session while still focusing on technique but not losing my mind about non-perfect form.

[quote]manee wrote:
Just a short update:

I did lift 5x3 with 120kg, and it didn’t feel that heavy. Lifted with a hookgrip in all sets, felt great! I felt not super tight during the first rep but tension was there for the 2nd and 3rd rep. I need to work on creating and maintaining tension right from the beginning.
And I decided not to film, because I just wanted to lift that shit up and not think too much about it, worked perfectly :-).
Now I was quite sore the last two days, pretty much everywhere, not only in the lower back so I take it as good sign.
I will just try to up the weight by 2.5kg every session while still focusing on technique but not losing my mind about non-perfect form.[/quote]

Sounds like a good plan to me.