Deadlift Form Analysis

610@ 232 Chalk and Belt, I have been trying to improve my form for a while with a myriad of techniques and I want some thoughts on what is still wrong with my pulling. Forgive the camera angle, I pull 625 for the 10th week of Coan next Tuesday so I’ll post that too from higher if this is unusable for form analysis. Thanks for any feedback

go easy on my roommate guys :smiley:

I still think that was by far the best rep you’ve ever done dude, Pause Squats worked like magic

The sign at the end is hilarious.

You look like you have some stability/strength problems with your upper back. If you watch this again, the top of your shoulders are almost lined up with your scapulas. Thats not a good thing. It’s like flipping the off switch on your leverage. Youre still moving some decent weight but get that straight and it will be ridiculous.

Good scap exercises: Face Pulls, Pull Aparts (in front and above your head), and DB Power Cleans

Good deadlift specific scap exercises: high rep RDLs, Wide Grip Rack Pulls, and Dimel Deads

Anything that isn’t moving the weight needs to be as tight as you can make it. When you think you are that tight, get tighter.

Hope this helped.

^ what he said. Take an extra half second to get your shoulders back and chest up before you go. It’ll really help with your lockout. The lockout is so hard because of how rounded your upper back is. Everyone’s upper back rounds a little on max attempts, but yours is rounded a lot before you even try to lift it.

Good advice from these two already. I’d also work on losing the bit of a hitch you’ve got in there. Following the advice above will probably help with that indirectly by making your lockout easier.

Really appreciate the advice I do see exactly what you’re talking about with my shoulders relative to my scapula, I honestly never really looked at how rounded my upper back was before I started pulling. The suggested exercises all make sense too, the wide grip rack pulls sound especially brutal and appealing and I tried the Dimel Deads and I love them I think I’ll be hitting them every week for a while. Should I be making an effort to pinch my scapula together when I pull like when benching? Face pulls and band pulls are just some of those exercises I hate and need to do more of and I’ll be throwing them into my next deadlift program. Really appreciate the advice, I respect the guys at wild iron your videos on youtube look like a bunch of well informed people who love to throw the iron around and Storm you’re just plain bigger than me and your 804 is a hell of a pull, which makes it alot easier to be humble with taking your advice so thanks and Good luck with your own training and competitions guys.

In regards to the “hitch” the bar never stopped moving or traveled downwards so I don’t think it would have gotten thrown out in comp but I really don’t know for sure. I would be interested to know from a judge if it would get thrown out anywhere for that, not just trying to be an asshole but I thought it would be a legal pull.

[quote]BEAR BORN wrote:

In regards to the “hitch” the bar never stopped moving or traveled downwards so I don’t think it would have gotten thrown out in comp but I really don’t know for sure. I would be interested to know from a judge if it would get thrown out anywhere for that, not just trying to be an asshole but I thought it would be a legal pull.[/quote]

You MIGHT (can’t stress that enough) get reds for thigh support. I think it was a legit pull though.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]BEAR BORN wrote:

In regards to the “hitch” the bar never stopped moving or traveled downwards so I don’t think it would have gotten thrown out in comp but I really don’t know for sure. I would be interested to know from a judge if it would get thrown out anywhere for that, not just trying to be an asshole but I thought it would be a legal pull.[/quote]

You MIGHT (can’t stress that enough) get reds for thigh support. I think it was a legit pull though.[/quote]

That’s what I thought I saw too – thigh support. I’m not a judge, but have competed in a lot of meets (15+). At some this would have passed, at some it wouldn’t.

actually i had a similar lift pass in competition, but most of the guys said it was a gift. my hitch was a little bit worse though.

Ive always gone by the saying “if you can pick it up, you can put it down”

Good lift man, got nothin to contribute that Storm and wild iron haven’t…juts givin props…how did you like the ed coan routine overall?

[quote]Russaldo wrote:
Ive always gone by the saying “if you can pick it up, you can put it down” [/quote]

ditto, I always laugh when I see dudes slamming weights around.

…though most are dropping 35 pound dumb bells. lol

Nice dead lift though, impressive weight! :slight_smile:

^^^The real Jim W disagrees.

I think the Coan Deadlift program is excellent, pure and simple, I loved it but it kind of stopped being effective for me around 600, I won’t be running it again but it took me from 455-500 and 545-585 and this time while I asked for a lot less out of it, I just couldn’t handle the volume and frequency.

In my honest opinion if you’ve got a year of lifting under your belt this is a good program to look at, I had two beginning lifters try it (with about a year of training) and both responded amazingly, each gained at least a few pounds of muscle and took their deadlifts from 405-445 (and just missed 455) and 430-475 both natural. Still the program at higher levels seems to require greater recovery than I have found myself capable of at this level and natural… though maybe over the summer with more time to sleep and eat?

Thanks for all the advice again, my lockout is improving at an awesome rate I may pull 640 before the year ends. Either way I’ll be posting my max video then so any advice on improvements made or things still lagging would be appreciated.