T Nation

Deadlift Fatigue, 5/3/1 Hardgainers

Hey everyone, posted my first thread a month or two ago and I’m back with a few more questions/issues.
I’m currently and the end of my cycle of 5/3/1 hardgainers and I’ve noticed some fatigue setting in.

Recently the following days after squats and deadlifts (more so deadlifts), I become extremely fatigued. Not necessarily sore, but extremely tired both physically and mentally. Is this a common occurance I just have to work past? Possibly working with too much weight?

My diet has not changed much, if at all since the last the thread. Still gradually gaining weight- up to about 182/183 lbs right now, so I’m still taking in calories above maintenance. Sleep could be better, but not worse than usual. Still getting 7-8 hours a night.

Anyone able to shine some light on what could be happening? If any more info is needed please let me know and I’ll provide it. Thanks everyone

I know the feeling. Seems to go away if I eat more, and responsibly.

Hey biker thanks for the reply.

Just more in general? Or a certain macro?
I’m still very new to lifting… As I’ve only been doing 5/3/1 for a few months, if that makes any difference.
I feel as though I eat pretty clean, aside from a peanut butter sandwich or two a day. Maybe I’m not eating as well as I thought I am.

More in general. Good nutrition info on this website.

Try bumping up your sleep. Doesn’t need to be crazy but another hour each night might help. Also possibly more recovery work could help. So stretching, foam rolling, walking on off days etc

Thanks biker, I will take a look at a few more articles.

Hey slabtown_slammer thanks for the reply. I try to catch up a bit on weekends but my body just won’t let me. I’m basically always up after 7-8 hours of sleep, no matter how early I go to bed. I tried melatonin, and while it helped me fall asleep, it didn’t lengthen my sleep. I’m blaming it on work. Up at 530 mon-fri and I think my body is just used to getting up early. I’ll try to find a way to get more quality sleep.

Speaking of work- I have a pretty physical job. Today I had to army crawl a 200’ crawlspace 8 times, so even while not working out I feel as though I’m putting my body through the ringer anyhow. This is why I picked the hardgainers template for my program. My main goal is to gain weight in the form of lean body mass, so I’d like to keep the fat gaining to a minimum, thus the slow increase in my personal weight gain. If I’m exhausted due to lack of calories/nutrients, wouldn’t my body be reflecting that by not gaining weight?

Sorry for so many questions and long posts. I’m cool with figuring this out by myself and making some mistakes along the way, but Tnation is just too good of a resource to pass up and exchange ideas in. Thanks again.

Hey everyone- just wanted to do a quick update. Started eating a little bit more, added some more protein to my lunch and a bit more for my after work meal. Gaining weight a bit quicker than I was previously, as after this past week I’m floating around 184 ish in the morning. Not a bad thing as weight gain is one of my end goals.

Another thing that popped into my head is around this time last year, I had blood work done. I had a pretty bad vitamin D deficiency due to the lack of sun. This winter seems like it’s just not going to end in Western NY. Started taking vitamin D every night before bed, and I have to say I feel much, much better.

Vitamin D can work wonders. Do you also take magnesium? That will help with sleep quality and muscle fatigue. It also is required for the body to properly metabolize vitamin D. I take magnesium glycinate, but magnesium citrate works well, too (make sure to stay away from magnesium oxide… the body cannot break that bond, so it is useless).

I’ve never taken magnesium, but I will without a doubt look into getting some. Thanks very much for the information. I take a general multi every day just to cover my ass. Don’t know a whole lot about nutrition/ supplements to be completely honest. I was hoping to learn more as I progress and continue reading / researching.