Deadlift Drudgery

Hello,

I know a video would be the best way to get your help. Video cameras in the gym are an absolute no-no.

I have had a couple of the guys in my gym give me their opinions and tips. I tried to pick the ones who appeared, to my eye, to have good form and a clue about what they were doing.

Anyway, to my question:

Consistently, I hit my upper right shin, just below the knee, with the bar when doing Romanian Deadlifts. I am starting to consider ditching this exercise completely. I am not a quitter. Before, I look in the mirror and say “I can not do Romanian Deadlifts” I would like your thoughts on it.

Things I have attempted thus far:

1: Raise the bar on steps so I’m starting a little higher.
2: Head/chin up more (this feels odd)
3: Focus the “push” coming from the balls of my feet, not heals.

I find the whole issue very strange because when I squat I have no issue whatsoever.

Thanks for any help you can lend!

Try it with free weights, I have been doing these lately and the movement feels more comfortable and works just as well, if not better.

Met with a physiotherapist about this. Problem was my right hip. The hip was “locked up”. Added some hip stretches before I squat or DL and presto problem solved.

The cause of the hip being tight is due to the change in how I walk after breaking my right foot. As much as I try to correct the foot fall I still have random arthritic pain which makes the whole shebang backfire.