T Nation

Deadlift / Dive Bomb Squat ?

This weekend I lifted in my 2nd power lifting meet (I improved my total 50lbs, but it is still nothing compared to T-nation standards). After my 2nd deadlift attempt, the ref told me widen my stance, because it would be better for my back. I will admit that I do start with my hips high, but I thought that this was a good way (according to Dave Tates articals.

Also alto fo the lifters were dive bomb squatting. Is this a good technique to use? It was an IPF meet if that helps
Thanks
Will42

Poly gear has now advanced to a point where the stopping power is excellent.

Your ability to develop confidence in the suits stopping power, stay tight, and descend fast and strong will go a long way towards getting the most out of the suit.

In summary, “dive bombing” can be a good technique if you can stay tight.

I agree. Speed on the way down is a great tool but you must maintain tightness in order to be successful. If you get too loose on the bottom you won’t get back up no matter how good your suit is.

1. Experiment with various styles of deadlifts in training. A hips high/traditional style can be great for certain body types, sumo better for others. But don’t change your style at a meet, no matter what a well-meaning judge might say.

2. If you’re new to the sport try lifting in some raw meets as well as equipped. You may decide you like equipped better but a lot of raw work early on is only going to make you stronger.

[quote]Will42 wrote:
This weekend I lifted in my 2nd power lifting meet (I improved my total 50lbs, but it is still nothing compared to T-nation standards). After my 2nd deadlift attempt, the ref told me widen my stance, because it would be better for my back. I will admit that I do start with my hips high, but I thought that this was a good way (according to Dave Tates articals.

Also alto fo the lifters were dive bomb squatting. Is this a good technique to use? It was an IPF meet if that helps
Thanks
Will42 [/quote]

Will,

If you read my “Precision Pulling” article, I go in depth regarding key points of pulling. Yes, you want your hips high, but not at the expense of having your chest caved over. Think hips high, chest up, and on the heels.

As for the squat, yes, a dive bomb can be successfully used. Gear really helps and it (dive bombing) potentiates the stretch shortening cycle as well. Just make sure you keep tight and use excellent form.

Stay strong and congrats on the PR’s
Mike

Hey Will congrats on increasing your total 50lbs. over your last meet!

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I read Precision pulling about 6 times. Just one more thought. Last week on my Me sq day I did SNG Deads, and I noticed that having my stance 4 or 5 in wider, and feet pointed out, it was a lot easier to pull back. Anyone have similar experances with SNG DL’s?
Thanks in advance
Will42