T Nation

Deadlift Day

Hi Jim,was hoping to get your opinion and any sugestions on this- I like to train my lifts doing the mon-wens-friday split as I like to concentrate on one lift at a time. I wont put in my whole 3 days traing but as a e.g my dead lift day is Deadlift -5-3-1 , Rack pull 5x5 , One arm DB row 5x10 , Chins x50 , Snatch grip high pull 5x5 , BB or DB shrugs 5x10- Strengh and size being my goal, thanks for any susgestions have a happy new year

Not exactly how I would program things but if this makes you happy, do it. But, and I’m sure you understand this if you’ve read anything I’ve written: your example is only a small, tiny snapshot of a HUGE picture. For example: this should only represent 1-3 cycles of 5/3/1. This is AT THE MOST. Unless you are doing a challenge.

Periodizing your training (planning) is a great way to make gains and be smart about making progress. Throwing a bunch of shit in a blender and hoping it tastes good - not smart. I’ve written examples, many times, on this forum examples of how to program 5 training cycles and they have BEEN TESTED! So all the work has been done for you.

All the work you are doing in the weight room - make it count for something. In a world where progress is king, I’m amazed at how few want to plan for progress. “Just doing work” will only take you so far. Be smart and good luck.

Point taken,thanks Jim

Ok after your advise I looked through all your prorames and im going to give building the monolith a good go,I train at home with a bench,racks and bar and dumbells but dont have a dip stand,would close grip benchs be a good option instead?

[quote]bubba_jack818 wrote:
Ok after your advise I looked through all your prorames and im going to give building the monolith a good go,I train at home with a bench,racks and bar and dumbells but dont have a dip stand,would close grip benchs be a good option instead?[/quote]

Not a good option at all. You MUST choose push-ups. NO question about it.

Ok thanks Jim

With this programe there is the face pull/band pull aparts 100 reps total,is this a super set or do one or the other?