T Nation

Deadlift Critique

Tell me if its good, bad, and what I need to work on, all my lifting is self taught, so I don’t wanna go heavy till its right

I thought I posted a vid…

Looks fine…are you concerned about anything in paticular?

Looks stupidly light. Nobody can help you with form if you’re lifting a goddamn pvc pipe. Put some weight on the bar that actually registers with your body and then post a vid so we can see how your form looks on an actual deadlift. Practically anybody’s form can look great when they are barely lifting anything.

[quote]csulli wrote:
Looks stupidly light. Nobody can help you with form if you’re lifting a goddamn pvc pipe. Put some weight on the bar that actually registers with your body and then post a vid so we can see how your form looks on an actual deadlift. Practically anybody’s form can look great when they are barely lifting anything.[/quote]

I was wondering what you really think about it?

Good form - shoulders are good over the bar, chest is up, good hip extension

Possibly keep the bar closer to your shins at the start ?

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
Looks stupidly light. Nobody can help you with form if you’re lifting a goddamn pvc pipe. Put some weight on the bar that actually registers with your body and then post a vid so we can see how your form looks on an actual deadlift. Practically anybody’s form can look great when they are barely lifting anything.[/quote]

I was wondering what you really think about it? [/quote]
Haha sorry. I guess that’s one of my pet peeves. People asking if their form is okay and using like 15% of their max. You don’t want to judge form on one rep max either, but you gotta find a little bit of a happy medium I think to make form assessments.

thanks for all the replies! ill be posting a video with a higher weight on wed!

and i was just asking cause ive never had any lifting coaching except from what i read and videos i see. my knees like to push outward a bit on anything heavy… dead lift, squat, hack squat ect…

Your clothing is loose and the plates block the view of your knees at the top, so it’s hard to say anything for sure. However, it looks to me that your knees don’t fully extend at the top of the lift while your back hyperextends. I also think that your hips aren’t actually fully extending, although that is the part I am least sure about. It short, it looks like you have tight hip flexors and compensate by hyperextending your back.

Make sure you are squeezing your butt at the top of the lift and these things should sort themselves out. In regards to your back, don’t think about trying to pull back at the top of the lift. Focus on getting your chest up and shoulder blades retracted.

[quote]Silyak wrote:
Your clothing is loose and the plates block the view of your knees at the top, so it’s hard to say anything for sure. However, it looks to me that your knees don’t fully extend at the top of the lift while your back hyperextends. I also think that your hips aren’t actually fully extending, although that is the part I am least sure about. It short, it looks like you have tight hip flexors and compensate by hyperextending your back.

Make sure you are squeezing your butt at the top of the lift and these things should sort themselves out. In regards to your back, don’t think about trying to pull back at the top of the lift. Focus on getting your chest up and shoulder blades retracted. [/quote]

Thank you! I have another vid… Probably not much better yet

Agree with the above, post a vid of I would think 80-85% of your 1rm, to get a better indicator of form, because my form is impeccable at 185 lol