Deadlift Critique - Conventional

365x1
415x1

• just workin on form. I only pull sumo, so I’m new to the conventional game, any help much appreciated.

here’s the 365, my legs/back were sore from the day before taking this one, I have my squat vid up in this section also, in a different thread.

Great now stop listening to 50. He’s a sniiiiiiitch.

[quote]Jlabs wrote:
Great now stop listening to 50. He’s a sniiiiiiitch. [/quote]

I’m not here to make a 50 cent fuckin debate man lol, I’m here for some advice from experienced/guys who know more than me, cause I know there are many on this site.

-Am I too forward?

-Should I get lower when deadlifting, it looks like my knees are only slightly bent, almost like stiff legging.

-It seems like my back is too horizontal, would it be easier for me if it’s more upright?

I have no clue what I’m doing when I do conventional, i just lift it haha

[quote]rasturai wrote:
-Am I too forward?

-Should I get lower when deadlifting, it looks like my knees are only slightly bent, almost like stiff legging.

-It seems like my back is too horizontal, would it be easier for me if it’s more upright?

[/quote]

In your first video, I think you could have pulled your shoulder back more, this would reduce the rounding in your lower back a little bit.

You should also try getting your ass down lower, this will also help with the lower back.

Eric Cressey wrote 3 articles about deadlifting, you find em by doing a search.

From a competition stand point, why did you switch to conventional?

In my experience guys who switch to sumo usually end up pulling more as opposed to conventional.

[quote]xb100 wrote:
rasturai wrote:
-Am I too forward?

In your first video, I think you could have pulled your shoulder back more, this would reduce the rounding in your lower back a little bit.

You should also try getting your ass down lower, this will also help with the lower back.

In my experience guys who switch to sumo usually end up pulling more as opposed to conventional.

[/quote]

His form wasn’t that bad at all. His ass wasn’t really that high either; to take advantage of the back/hamstrings the hips will start kinda high for many conventional lifters. To the OP, the bar does get slightly away from your body, so focus on driving your heels through the floor.

The lifters that start with their asses low are typically heavy lifters who use a lot of leg drive to get the bar moving. A lifter with his build will benefit more pulling like he is. Look at ano turtiainen, chuck v(when he pulls conventional), and other leaner guys who pull conventional.

And your comment about guys switching to sumo pulling more than conventional may not necessarily apply here. It’s a very individual thing for a lifter to choose which style to use. It is a good idea to train both sumo and conventional, but once a competition nears ya gotta pick which one you will lift the most with.

well I can pull 500 sumo, I’m shooting for a 525 deadlift anytime now. I just think conventional deadlifts will make my sumo a lot stronger from the additional low back/ham work and all.

I’ve only been deadlifting for 4 months (seriously), before I deadlifted here and there, but never got into it because always lacked form. this is the first time doing conventional. I’m going to be posting more video’s in this thread on my form, more advice would be appreciated…i’m gonna play with it.

[quote]xb100 wrote:
rasturai wrote:
-Am I too forward?

[/quote]

Thanks man, I think I’ll try this…I think the lower back thing I worry about, I just really don’t wanna get injured, with this weight I’m fine yeah, but for a max I don’t want anything to happen.

Any deadlift article that has come out I’ve read lol, actually in that 365 I was trynig to memorize how Eric was doin it. I think I’m going to bring my ass lower, I think it’ll give me lots of power off the floor, as opposed to using mostly my lower back. I think that’s where it gets rounded, such heavy weight infront of me, and it just rounds because my legs are near straight and stuff.

From a comp. standpoint my squat takes care of my sumo, I was really wanna strength my lower back and everything. If my conv. goes up, sumo goes up.

[quote]vandalay15 wrote:
xb100 wrote:
rasturai wrote:
-Am I too forward?

His form wasn’t that bad at all. His ass wasn’t really that high either; to take advantage of the back/hamstrings the hips will start kinda high for many conventional lifters. To the OP, the bar does get slightly away from your body, so focus on driving your heels through the floor.

The lifters that start with their asses low are typically heavy lifters who use a lot of leg drive to get the bar moving. A lifter with his build will benefit more pulling like he is. Look at ano turtiainen, chuck v(when he pulls conventional), and other leaner guys who pull conventional.

And your comment about guys switching to sumo pulling more than conventional may not necessarily apply here. It’s a very individual thing for a lifter to choose which style to use. It is a good idea to train both sumo and conventional, but once a competition nears ya gotta pick which one you will lift the most with.[/quote]

Vandalay, if it’s cool man I’m gonna post another deadlift vid on how I pulled (higher legs), then one with me gettin a bit lower. Tell me what you think.

Also I have lots of leg power so I think that doing the rack pulls, GM’s, RDL’s, and Stiff legs to up the strength of my lower back.

[quote]xb100 wrote:
rasturai wrote:
-Am I too forward?

[/quote]

Thanks man, I think I’ll try this…I think the lower back thing I worry about, I just really don’t wanna get injured, with this weight I’m fine yeah, but for a max I don’t want anything to happen.

Any deadlift article that has come out I’ve read lol, actually in that 365 I was trynig to memorize how Eric was doin it. I think I’m going to bring my ass lower, I think it’ll give me lots of power off the floor, as opposed to using mostly my lower back. I think that’s where it gets rounded, such heavy weight infront of me, and it just rounds because my legs are near straight and stuff.

From a comp. standpoint my squat takes care of my sumo, I was really wanna strength my lower back and everything. If my conv. goes up, sumo goes up.

I would say push your knees more forward, they should be over the bar. Lower hips slightly, not a ton. The entire back from lower to your neck should be more flat or have a slight arch, you have a slight round. You can see that your belt slides up on your back so when you start the lift is is like 5 inches above your lower back, it should stay on the lower back, which it will if you start to arch your back better. Your shoulders are too forward but I think pushing the knees forward will help bring them back. When you start the lift, squeeze your abs first (brace) and then pull hard. Form wasn’t bad but could be improved.

I am attaching a pic of pretty good start position.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
I would say push your knees more forward, they should be over the bar. Lower hips slightly, not a ton. The entire back from lower to your neck should be more flat or have a slight arch, you have a slight round. You can see that your belt slides up on your back so when you start the lift is is like 5 inches above your lower back, it should stay on the lower back, which it will if you start to arch your back better. Your shoulders are too forward but I think pushing the knees forward will help bring them back. When you start the lift, squeeze your abs first (brace) and then pull hard. Form wasn’t bad but could be improved.

I am attaching a pic of pretty good start position.[/quote]

That dude has form that would be shown in a textbook for some exercise class at school or in a men’s health magazine. With his knees over the bar, back arched, and ass down it will be more of a squat off of the ground.

If the poster’s goal is to pull a lot of weight, the form he is better for this. Most any decent conventional puller I’ve ever seen starts with the shins more vertical, and sets the weight into the hamstrings before driving the heels through the floor to start the lift. (I mentioned before and will say it again heavy, stubby lifters who aren’t built to pull will often do well with a slightly wider stance and use more leg drive off the floor)

Many view it as too “stiff legged” and say it’s bad for the back, but it puts the lifter in a better position. For people worried about a back injury: do plenty of exercises to make your back and abs really fuckin strong, pull the bar back and up so it doesn’t get out in front of you, and really fill your stomach with air and force your abs out against the belt(this really helps me in strength off the floor because of the pressure and tightness, also keeps the low back in a static position).

Also, if you wanna move a lot of weight, compete, and lift for a long time injuries are gonna happen. It’s just gonna happen with pushing yourself so hard.

[quote]vandalay15 wrote:

That dude has form that would be shown in a textbook for some exercise class at school or in a men’s health magazine. With his knees over the bar, back arched, and ass down it will be more of a squat off of the ground.

If the poster’s goal is to pull a lot of weight, the form he is better for this. Most any decent conventional puller I’ve ever seen starts with the shins more vertical, and sets the weight into the hamstrings before driving the heels through the floor to start the lift. (I mentioned before and will say it again heavy, stubby lifters who aren’t built to pull will often do well with a slightly wider stance and use more leg drive off the floor)

[/quote]

I disagree. Why would be textbook form be good for light weights and shitty form be good for heavy weights? Of course form will break down slightly when you go really heavy, but the goal is to maintain good form as much as possible. And his set up is off from the get go.

As a competitive PL with a fair amount of experience, I don’t see people getting the best lifts by pulling in his position, especially without wearing a suit which makes the setup more difficult. And his lifts didn’t look like a max out on the video.

Thanks Tim, I have a really strong squat and can pull good sumo, but I need to bring my conv. up. I’m gonna try your form also. No disrespect to vandalay…I just 1) dont want to get injured 2) learn better form, because when I do go into heavier weights conv. my form REALLY breaks down and my lumber starts to round a lot and I don’t want that.

At the same time I don’t know if I want to “squat” it off the ground. I will be posting more vids and I hope Tim H. and vandalay15…if you guys could stick around this thread it’d be greatly appreciated. Of course I can’t pull 2x a week so I’ll only have a video once a week. But when it comes if you guys could comment i’d be very grateful lol. Peace