Deadlift Correctly...

[quote]Iron-Head10 wrote:
TheBig3 wrote:
Iron-Head10 wrote:
My brother is really skinny by nature. He is taller than my by one inch, (he is 5’6) but he weighs a lot less. He has a narrow build, Lanky, wirey. I tried on 4 seperate occasions to teach him conventional. I was getting nowhere, Then, i tried rack pulls, I was getting nowhere. So Then i taught him sumo. He pulls fantastically.

He can pull sumo with good form, but I feel that to get a big deadlift you need to train both styles. So I want him to learn conventional.

I agree 100 percent. To pull a competitive DL you need to use both in your training. But what does he use as his primary? Sumo or Conventional?
[/quote]

Sumo since he started, and has been fooling around with conventional.

[quote]HARA wrote:
I think many people confuse having your shoulders rolled forward with having a “rounded lower back”

Anyway, keep your back straight till you can pull 4 times your bodyweight…then try whatever you want.[/quote]

so a 200 lb guy should keep his back strait until he hits 805 lbs then he can round it slightly? :stuck_out_tongue:

Exactly, in short…don"t round your back.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
molnes wrote:
I didn’t think rounding the upper back was a problem at all as long as the lower back is straight?

It’s not, but how many rank beginners can do that?[/quote]

Good point.

[quote]TheBig3 wrote:

He can pull sumo with good form, but I feel that to get a big deadlift you need to train both styles. So I want him to learn conventional.[/quote]

People have built big deadlifts without using both styles for many many years.

Until he learns to deadlift properly, more of the same won’t help. Start him off in a rack and gradually bring it down like was mentioned.

Also, make sure he warms up and stretches. Most people can’t warm up and get loose to deadlift by just deadlifting. Work in some mobility drills. If you post a video, we can probably tell you WHAT he needs to be stretching or what his problem is.

[quote]HARA wrote:
I think many people confuse having your shoulders rolled forward with having a “rounded lower back”

Anyway, keep your back straight till you can pull 4 times your bodyweight…then try whatever you want.[/quote]

Wow. That’s some dumb advice right there. You know how many 200+lbers have a 4x BW pull? There are only 9 people to ever pull 800+ in the 198lb weight class.

Besides that, who in the fuck is going to buy that there is some magical formula that you suddenly hit that makes it ok to do “whatever you want”? You seriously believe that just because a person hits some mystical number that its suddenly ok to experiment, or that it wasn’t ok to play with technique prior to that? You think you’re going to get to a 4xBW pull without trying a few things? I’d love to see it.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
HARA wrote:

Anyway, keep your back straight till you can pull 4 times your bodyweight…then try whatever you want.

Wow. That’s some dumb advice right there. You know how many 200+lbers have a 4x BW pull? There are only 9 people to ever pull 800+ in the 198lb weight class.

Besides that, who in the fuck is going to buy that there is some magical formula that you suddenly hit that makes it ok to do “whatever you want”?

You seriously believe that just because a person hits some mystical number that its suddenly ok to experiment, or that it wasn’t ok to play with technique prior to that? You think you’re going to get to a 4xBW pull without trying a few things? I’d love to see it.[/quote]

I’m guessing the sentiment of the post was newb’s shouldn’t fuck about trying to mimic top lifters and use it as an excuse for “bad” form when they’re not even flexible or strong enoguh to pull 135 correctly.

How old is your brother and what is his athletic background?

Thank you Hanley…I no longer feel like I’m on an island.

Does he squat with a close stance or a wide stance?

If he squats with a wide stance, can he squat with a close stance without coming on his toes or rounding his back?

If he can’t then I would guess that this is an ankle mobility issue. In the bottom portion of the deadlift pretty much everyone that I have ever seen deadlift conventional needs to let their knees drift forward in order to get their hips closer to the bar and to lock their lower back in place. If he has an ankle mobility problem this will be hard for him if not impossible to do.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
Does he squat with a close stance or a wide stance?

If he squats with a wide stance, can he squat with a close stance without coming on his toes or rounding his back?

If he can’t then I would guess that this is an ankle mobility issue. In the bottom portion of the deadlift pretty much everyone that I have ever seen deadlift conventional needs to let their knees drift forward in order to get their hips closer to the bar and to lock their lower back in place. If he has an ankle mobility problem this will be hard for him if not impossible to do. [/quote]

Its a shoulder width stance, so its a normal stance. He can get about parallel with a close stance, anything below that his back rounds and toes come off the ground. How do you fix ankle mobility?

toes come off the floor? You mean heals?

First you need to determine if it is an ankle mobility problem, otherwise why do you need to know how to fix it.

Have him do the following stretch

Soleus Stretch:

Keeping the back leg slightly bent, slowly lean towards wall allowing front knee to bend. A comfortable stretch should be felt in the calf of the rear leg.

If he feels a “pinch” in the front of his foot/ankle instead of stretch in the rear then there is a good possibility it is a mobility issue.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
toes come off the floor? You mean heals?

First you need to determine if it is an ankle mobility problem, otherwise why do you need to know how to fix it.

Have him do the following stretch

Soleus Stretch:

Keeping the back leg slightly bent, slowly lean towards wall allowing front knee to bend. A comfortable stretch should be felt in the calf of the rear leg.

If he feels a “pinch” in the front of his foot/ankle instead of stretch in the rear then there is a good possibility it is a mobility issue.

[/quote]

Yea, I meant heels. No, he did it and that didnt happen.

He might not be pushing his hips back far enough.

This Dan John video may help.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=dan%20john%20squat&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv#

Just a quick question about your brothers posture while he is sitting. Does he naturally round his lower back when he sits or is the the lower back straight/arched. A Marc Bartley vid I found youtube will show you the difference.

If he does round his back while sitting try getting him to keep his lower back straight/arched. If he has trouble with it chuck a basketball or folded pillow behind him as it’ll be uncomfotable to sit with a rounded lower back when there’s a b’ball behind you.

About the close stance squats I doubt there is a problem with ankle mobilty as I cant just go beneath parallel with good form.
If I tried to go lower using bodyweight my torso leans to forward so I can get lower. Add a BB and this lean in the torso shifts your centre of gravity forward and it brings your heels of the ground.

If you still think his ankle mobility is an issue both of of you put your feet against a wall and squat until your knees touch the wall. If you can touch the wall, then move away from the wall an inch at a time until you cant touch it. See if there is a difference in how far away from the wall you can get compared to your brother. You’re only a little taller than your brother so there shouldn’t be that much of a difference, if there is then he may have a problem.

Hope that helped.